Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Norma

Default Re: Charles Farnes b Abt 1828

Hi

Can anyone out there help - I have been trying to find info on Charles Farnes - Farrier Major - 6th Inniskillings Dragoons. He died from cholera while returing home on board ship in 1856. Medals: Sebastapol - Inkerman - Balaklava. 2 Medals (one in 1854). Where would his death have been recorded? Any info would be helpful.

Many thanks
    Norma

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Norma View Post
    Where would his death have been recorded?
    Have you tried the GRO military/overseas indexes? Available (for a short while ) at the Family Records Centre or online at find my past and probably also elsewhere.

If you find him in the indexes you can order the death certificate in the usual way from the GRO (overseas section).

Norma

Many thanks for info however I couldn't find him anywhere on GRO
    Norma

Lawrence W. Crider

Farnes, Farrier Major Charles (1074)
    Oct to Dec 1854: with Service Troops the entire period; on board ship 3 days; paid 92 days at 2s 2d per diem [54-4-2][JDC].
    Jan to Mar 1855: with the Service Troops the entire period; paid 90 days at 2s 2d per diem; stoppages for 90 days while ashore of 4 1/2d per diem [55-1-2]. Remittance of £5-0-0 to Eliza Farnes [55-1-21].
    Apr to Jun 1855: with Service Troops the entire period; paid 91 days at 2s 2d per diem; stoppages for 91 days on shore at 4 1/2d per diem [55-2-2].
    Jul to Sep 1855: paid 92 days at 2s 2d per diem; stoppages for 92 days ashore at 4 1/2d per diem [55-3-2].
    Crimean Medal [232][JDC]; with I Clasp [232][JDC]; and B Clasp [255][JDC]; with B Clasp notation [232]; and S Clasp [244][JDC]; and Turkish Medal [273].
    died as farrier CR 5/59, CR 6/59, CR 9/60, ∑10456; regt. no. listed as “1674” (sic)[CL].

This is what is on the Musters for the regiment from Oct 1854 to Sep 1855 and the Medal Rolls.

Cheers,

Lawrence W. Crider

Norma

Default Re: Charles farnes

Hi

Many thanks for the info you provided on Farrier Major Charles Farnes. Still trying to find a death record so will just keep on searching! His son Charles was born in May 1857 but I believe he himself died in 1856. Would there be any way of searching for his record?

Thanks again

Norma

Lawrence W. Crider

Default Record of Charles Farnes death

In the records which I have his death is mentioned that he died as a farrier and the reference mentioned is CR ("casualty roll"--although this is just a general reference for a set of documents which lists why men were absent from the service) 59 which I assume means he probably died in 1859. If you have access to the National Archives at Kew, you should search the regimental musters beginning in 1859 for changes in his status. If he died that year, his death will be mentioned on Form 20 or Form 24 for the respective quarter in which he died. If he was still alive, you look to the next quarter, and so on until his service ends with his death.

Cheers,

LC

Norma

Default Re: Charles farnes

Many thanks for your update. However, as I do not live in England it is not possible at the moment to visit Kew personally so I will just keep checking on data which may appear on-line at some future date.

Regards
    Norma

Shani Saville

Quote Originally Posted by Norma View Post
    Hi

Can anyone out there help - I have been trying to find info on Charles Farnes - Farrier Major - 6th Inniskillings Dragoons. He died from cholera while returing home on board ship in 1856. Medals: Sebastapol - Inkerman - Balaklava. 2 Medals (one in 1854). Where would his death have been recorded? Any info would be helpful.

Many thanks

Norma
    Hi Norma,

I'm researching Farnes too - that's what brought me here today.

I've a feeling we've met at a funeral many moons ago.
    (Great Aunt Eadies??? with Bag pipes... in Sandra's garden, near Heathrow Airport... does that "ring any bells" for you???)

I was there with "Joyce" (real name Muriel) from Palmers Green. (My Mother-In-Law)

If I come across any more information I'll let you know!

Shani (better known as Liz)

Norma

Hi Liz

Yes we did meet many moons ago as you said. My late husband John started the farnes tree and then I took over on computer when he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. I will look out the tree as I think I did get some info some time ago and will get back to you

Nice to hear from you and hope you are well
    Norma

Lawrence W. Crider

Dear All: Back in response to an addition to this forum topic. Reviewing my last reply, the CR (casualty roll) where his death is mentioned is in WO 25 3274 which is at the National Archives. Reviewing the documents I have on hand, I see I do not have the Muster Rolls for the 6th Dragoons for the 4th Quarter of 1855. The entry for his death should appear on that muster across from his name where he is listed in the nominal roll on the pay list, and also on either form 20 or form 24 where it lists changes in status due to death, discharge, etc. He is also mentioned in Roy Dutton's book "Forgotten Heroes: The Charge of the Heavy Brigade" on page 301, although I don't imagine there is much there, but I left the book in temporary storage 90 miles away and don't have it available to check. If you don't live in the UK (like me), Kevin Asplin at the Asplin Military History Resources has been my go to person for photos of documents at the National Archives. His charges are very reasonable and he can send a photo or two as an attachment via e-mail and can be paid via Paypal. Hope this helps. --LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast