Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for replying so quickly.
    I am very new to this research so please would you explain how to get into GRO and FreeBMD.
    What does GRO stand for?
    Beulah

Quote Originally Posted by beulahg27 View Post
    Thank you for replying so quickly.
    I am very new to this research so please would you explain how to get into GRO and FreeBMD.
    What does GRO stand for?
    Beulah
    Hi
    GRO is the Government Register Office (for England and Wales) https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    This site lists births Sept 1/4 1837 to 1934, 1984 to 2020 and gives the mother's maiden name for births. This site is free to use but you do have to register.

FreeBMD is also a register of birth, marriages and deaths and is free, no registration required, but you won't get the mother's maiden name on this site for births before 1911. However you do get birthsfrom 1911 to 1983 with mmn so the two sites work well together. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina
    I have registered with GRO and find it absolutely confusing. I cannot access any type of form whereby I can enter the information I have to search for John and Elizabeth(Douglass) Perry's children. I have a list of Perry children born and registered between 1884 to 1904 in the Gateshead District. Nor can I access any of my Grandfather John's siblings. Please can you point me in the right direction. I have a cousin living in New Zealand but do not have her new address yet. Thanks.
    Beulah
    Last edited by christanel; 01-03-2017 at 7:52 PM. Reason: name of living person removed see BG's T&C's

Hi Beulah
    So you have accessed the GRO from the link in my post #52? In the right hand column click on Register/Log in. That takes you to the page where you enter your Log in details ( I stay logged in) then click on Submit. On the next page where it asks you
    What would you like to do? Click on -- Search the GRO Indexes. The next page asks Which index would you like to search? Click the birth circle which automatically brings up the page where you fill in the details of the births you are seeking. Sometimes also it is better to put in the least amount of information to get a result. I usually leave out the registration district unless I have found it on FreeBMD. Also be aware of differences in spelling. GRO uses the 'phonetically similar' and 'similar sounding' options whereas FreeBMD lets you use a wildcard *. eg Stephen can be Steven so can use Ste*en which will pick up both spellings of the name.

Hope this helps. If not get back to me.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default PERRY/CHRISTIANE FAMILY

Hi Golly
    I am looking into the History of my Family Surname Christiane and came across your thread. My Grandmothers name was Vee (nee Perry) Christiane and her Father was called Alfred Edward Perry from South Africa. I wonder if this is what you are looking for. You can email me: adams4376ATgmailDOTcom who knows we might be related??
    Cheers
    Gail Dimanche Christiane
    Last edited by christanel; 28-03-2022 at 8:23 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Golly View Post
    Hi all, I have had to shelve the PERREY search for the time being. I am on the trail of another branch of my family, but will return to B-G Forums asap.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Golly
    Hi Golly my name is Gail Dimanche Christiane. My maternal Grandmother was Vee (Perry) Christiane. Hope we can connect. Her Father was Alfred Edward Perry.

Hi,
    I have been researching for about 10 years now(off & on) my ggggrandfather Charles Perry Born about 1807. I heard he was born at sea. Also heard his Mother's name might be Anne Perry no father listed. He married an Esther possibly on 24 Dec 1836 Wheatenhurst Or Whitminster, Gloucestershire, England. Moved to Exploits Island, Newfoundland, Canada at some point. They had 10 children. Any info would be greatly appreciated. you can contact me at canadawolf AT hotmail DOT com or on ancestry.ca canadawolf is my username. I have done a DNA test on ancestry.ca as well. If you contact me through email please put Perry family tree in subject so I don't delete you.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 31-03-2022 at 2:14 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to avoid spammers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456