Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blueshark

Thanks sue.

Lots of family connections in this story for me.

It is funny, when researching, time seems to contract, and the people don't seem so far away.

Thurso has become a much more important place to me now.

robbennie

What a great story Sue. It really gives you a flavour of life in Caithness at the time. My wife's family were Nicholson's who had the farm at Bardnaclavan until sometime in the late 1870s. Probably moved after the father, William died in 1878. I don't suppose you have any pictures of it (I assume there wouldn't be more than one farm). My wife's father was a MacKay whose family were also from Thurso but it doesn't sound like you are related. Thanks for a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by robbennie View Post
    My wife's family were Nicholson's who had the farm at Bardnaclavan until sometime in the late 1870s. Probably moved after the father, William died in 1878. I don't suppose you have any pictures of it (I assume there wouldn't be more than one farm).
    Hallo Rob, and welcome to British Genealogy. I don't have photos myself, but if you go to

https://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=60655286

you will get a flavour. (Looks very similar to a photo I do have of nearby Achnavast) If the above link doesn't take you directly to the photos, put Bardnaclavan into the top Search box. I have a feeling from Google that houses have now been built on the site of the original farm.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Sue,
    I am researching the McKays from Kinlochbervie Sutherland you mentioned your McKays are from there. I have a Dolina McKay b. 1914 who married Neil McLeod do you know of any connection. I came across an interesting article on the McKays.
    This is a long Mackay article but very interesting, it is worth reading thru.
    https://www.electricscotland.com/web...m/mackay2.html
    Kind regards
    Geordielad70

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12