Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gtcjackie

Smile JOHN BOOTH-UNDERTAKER IN 1893 in Hulme

I am trying to trace the correct family for John H Booth born 1849/50 He married Alice Fletcher and according to 1891 census his mother was Elizabeth (Backsham - I believe maybe Blackshaw born in Dodworth, Yorkshire 1829)) One of his daughters was Ada Helena Booth who married Joseph Warwick in 1893 at the time of that marriage John was an undertaker. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Jackie

uksearch

Could you possibly give us some more details. Are you looking for information from Yorkshire or Hulme or both? Were they RC or CofE or other. I ask because of the Registrar Attended or Register Office marriage.

UK

gtcjackie

I am looking for anything! At first I thought Elizabeth might have been John Booth's mother in law because of the different surname but according to the daughter, Ada Helena Booth's birth certificate, Alice's maiden name was Fletcher and on 1891 I found Ada with her Grandparents Elizabeth & Charles Fletcher in Crayford, Kent - I cannot find any record of either grandparent on earlier censuses. I have found in 1881 that Ada is with her parents John & Alice in Deptford, London but also there is an Ada Booth staying with grandparents Elizabeth B Blackshaw & William Blackshaw in Cheetham which puzzled me. I have found a marriage of Elizabeth R Booth/Robinson to William Blackshaw in Ancoats Manchester in 1869 (ref2/1/95) but cannot find any family records of Elizabeth Booth/Robinson born in Dodworth in 1929. I want to check if Elizabeth Booth had any other children apart from John who may have had a daughter called Ada around about 1874/5 to solve the mystery of Ada being in 2 places on the 1881 census! Sorry this is complicated and I do not know what religion the family were.

uksearch

If you have the details of the marriage between Joseph Warwick and Ada Booth in 1893 it may help if you post the details in full.

UK

uksearch

With regard to the William Blackshaw marriage. This indicates that this was a second marriage for Elizabeth. She may may have married a Booth and her maiden name was Robinson or visa versa.

UK

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by gtcjackie View Post
    I want to check if Elizabeth Booth had any other children apart from John who may have had a daughter called Ada around about 1874/5 to solve the mystery of Ada being in 2 places on the 1881 census! Sorry this is complicated and I do not know what religion the family were.
    It may be worth bearing in mind that sometimes families didn't follow the enumerator's instructions to the letter & would sometimes list everyone who normally live in the household rather than just those at home on census night.

I have one young lady who manages to be with her mother in Liverpool & with her grandparents in Polperro, Cornwall in the 1901 census.

gtcjackie

Ada Booth married Joseph Warwick on 9th September 1893at the register office, Chorlton, Manchester. John Booth a Undertaker listed as Ada's father and address 7 Upper Duke Street Hulme. Not sure if the number off the copy certificate I have may help but application no is COl316880
    Your help is very much appreciated

uksearch

Could you let us know Joseph's address and the names of the two witnesses.

UK

gtcjackie

Joseph's Address 15 Goldsmith Street, Chorlton upon Medlock, Father Luke Warwick., Witnesses Arthur Warwick (brother) & Mary Chadwick.
    Since my posting I have found a possible family match but there are some discrepancies. In 1861 census I found a John Booth age 15 with mother Elizabeth born Barnsley (not Dodworth in 1827) and then on 1851 census John has gone from being born in Manchester to Liverpool and Elizabeth born 1825 not 27, is that quite normal? The father and his occupation remain cabinet maker which ties in with John jnr's occupations so hopefully I am on the right track. Thanks for your input.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there
    I don't know if you are still researching this (Ada Booth) but I may be able to help as I am from that line. Ada was my great-grandfather's sister. They (the Booths) all changed their names, several times!, which makes researching them very difficult. My grandfather, Maurice Harold Booth, who was Ada's nephew, wrote a book of his life and this touches on the early years so this may be helpful. The Booths all had a very colourful life with many of them in the entertainment business.

Please get in touch via email: snbmdb AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk
    Kind regards
    Sarah Dadson (nee Booth)
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 28-03-2023 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast