Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    uksearch

[quote=rawley; BIG SNIP
    I will continue this on another posting, lest I get into that awful repeating problem.

Kay[/quote]

THIS PROBLEM NO LONGER EXISTS.

UK

utilisada

[quote=rawley;109986]Part 2

the witnesses on his marriage cert are unknown to me.

What were the names of the witnesses? - I find that if you can locate them, they are often related in some way - This could show up connections to other Morris's, which may either confirm or eliminate.

Also - do you have an address for James and Thomas in 1879 in the prison records?

Dea x

rawley

Hi Dea,

The witnesses on the 1849 marriage cert of Thomas Morris and Catherine Morgan were Patrick Kelly and Bridget Mulloy (sic). Neither surname has yet been found in my family. On the 1851 census there is a Patrick Kelly who is a lodger, along with about 10 others, at the same address where Thomas and Catherine are also lodgers.

I have no address for Thomas Morris or James Hefferon for 1879. On the 1881 census there is a Thomas Morris on Back Holgate Street, and James Hefferon is in prison.

As I said earlier, I think my best hope at the moment is the LDS microfilm for Castlebar.

Thanks again for all your input.

Kay

PS to UKsearch: Glad to learn that the repetition problem has been resolved.

utilisada

Bridget Mulloy is also there on 1851 -(Bridget Maloy) - married to Michael !

I believe her maiden name was probably Shannon but it doesn't look if that will help any !!

Dea x

rawley

Hi Dea,

Thanks for pointing out Bridget Mulloy. It is very difficult to read on the print that I made at the library. With all those lodgers, it looks like a lodging house, doesn't it. BTW, the surname Shannon is not familiar to me.

I've been thinking all morning that, after I look at the LDS microfilm for Castlebar, maybe I should just bite the bullet and order the birth cert for Honor Morris, the daughter of the Back Holgate Street Thomas and Catherine. She appears with them on the 1861 census at age 10, and FreeBMD has her born in DEC 1851. The birth cert should list the mother's maiden name and an address, both being details which would help to confirm whether or not I have two different Thomas and Catherine Morrises. What do you think of that idea?

Kay

utilisada

Well, It can't do any harm but I am always loathed to spend money on things that I am not sure of !!!

Do you have any useful connections to the names - Byrne, Mc Cabe, Welsh (or Walsh), ?

What details do the prison records give with regard to Thomas?

Dea x

(Do you have a tree anywhere which I could have a look at ?)

rawley

Dea,

Only the name Byrne rings a bell. Per the 1871 census, Thomas Morris of Back Holgate Street had a son-in-law by the name of John Byrne enumerated with him. Where did you find these names?

The criminal record said only that James Hefferan was living with his uncle Thomas Morris, nothing else.

I agree about spending money on iffy certs, and I would do it only as a last resort.

Sorry, no family tree that I could transmit to you.

Kay

utilisada

Yes - I have the name Byrne from the 1871.

He married Ann Morris b c 1851 - daughter of Thomas from 30 Back Holgate St. - There are a couple of Ann Morris's b Manchester 1851/52 !!

Unless Ann is Honor (from No. 19?)- they would be born too close together ??

Dea x

rawley

Dea,

Yes, I too had been wondering if Honor and Ann could be the same person -- maybe Ann was Honor's middle name. Another reason to order her birth cert! I found the marriage of Ann Morris and John Byrne on Lancs BMD, but it's a registry marriage.

I think that we've kind of run out of options at this point -- other than the LDS microfilm and Honor's birth cert. Do you agree? I thank you profusely for your efforts and ideas -- they've enabled me to re-examine everything more objectively.

Kay

utilisada

So pleased if you think I have been of help - I don't really think I have achieved anything though - REALLY frustrating !!!

If you have a number of Irish relatives, I do have a couple of websites which might be useful - One gives some BMD's and the other is transcripts from various Irish Newspapers.

I have had a look on there for your Morris's and Hefferons but - 'no joy' - However, If you have other Irish relatives and would like to have a look, let me know and I will post you the addresses.

Dea x

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast