susanmerkley

Question Norvals of Abbottshall

Dear List Members:

I am new to this forum and am researching my Norval line in Scotland. So far, I have managed to put together my line of Norvals but am now searching to fill in the branches.

I am especially interested in researching a "nest of Norvals" who lived in Abbotshall circa 1800. The first person I am sure of is Charles (possibly Gordon) Norval b. circa 1766 (place not confirmed) who married Magdaleine Howden/Houden 20 April, 1797 in Abbotshall. He was a gardener at Raith House (possibly Head Gardener) and had before his death in 1835 began to write a horticultural book.

(He could possible be a brother to my gr. gr.gr.grandfather, Joseph Norval b. circa 1768, place not confirmed and who lived in Thornton, Markinch. He married Janet Cree in Dysart 16 Nov. 1793 and died in Thornton in 1850.)

They had the following children:

Charles Norval b. 21 Jan 1798

Robert Howden/Houden Norval b.21 Jan 1799. He emigrated to Beauharnois, Province of Quebec Canada in 1818 where he married Mary Helen de Blanquiere some time circa 1832.

Harriet Morgan Norval b. 9 March 1800.

Magdaleine Norval c. 17 March, 1802. She married Robert Thompson in 1832 in Chiswick England and where she lived for the rest of her life.

Margaret Norval c. Sept 1803 and who does not seem to have married. She lived with her sister in Chiswick.

Another Charles Norval c.26 Nov. 1805. (Perhaps the younger Charles died?)
    I can find no probable marriage/death record.

Joseph Norval c.25 Oct. 1809 died at sea circa 1860. Joseph never married. He was a surgeon in the Royal Navy and disappeared, presumed drowned when his ship was lost on its way to India.

All born in Abbotshall.

In the IGI, I find in the mid--1800s, a group of Norvals still living in Abbotshall but have been unable to connect them with this family. Anyone who is researching a Norval line, please contact me. I would be excited to hear from you!.
    Sue in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by susanmerkley View Post
    I am especially interested in researching a "nest of Norvals" who lived in Abbotshall circa 1800. The first person I am sure of is Charles (possibly Gordon) Norval b. circa 1766 (place not confirmed) who married Magdaleine Howden/Houden 20 April, 1797 in Abbotshall. He was a gardener at Raith House (possibly Head Gardener) and had before his death in 1835 began to write a horticultural book.
    If you go to https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/scot/Fife/ft/fife.tH.html and look under Howden you will find an e-mail for someone researching this family.

I also found this which might be of interest:
    NORVAL PHOTOGRAPHERS LTD: Dunfermline, 1879 to date; business founded by Sir James Norval (1862-1936), who was Provost of Dunfermline in 1918-24; he had come from his native Dundee to commence business, and although later advs state that this was in 1879, Norval was originally the manager of Handu, Hardie & Federwitz's studio at North Station Road (est 1882), and took over the business in Nov 1885; by 1894 he had moved to 123 New Row; here the business remained for many years, and sometime after 1959 was removed to 40 Priory Lane
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

susanmerkley

Default Norvals/Abbotshall

Dear Sue:

I've seen the post about Sir James Norval but have not been able to connect him with my line...!

The email for Sean Drury that you pointed out has been out-of-commission for some time now. I was in touch with him many years ago and I got a lot of my information from him.

Thanks for the pointers and I am hopeful that someone out there will be able to fill in the blanks or that I can help them connect some of the dots. Ya just never know! Only last month, I got in touch with a branch of the Norval family and she had just started her genealogical search; she is in her 80s!

And I am very grateful for this forum. On some of the other mailing lists I belong to, there have been many generous and helpful people. I've connected with many cousins...
    Sue in Canada