Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thomsonfh

Default Welcome to the Brompton by Northallerton Forum

This forum is for people who are interested in family history centred around the village of Brompton by Northallerton. It follows on from the British-Genealogy.com mailing list on the same subject which ran very successfully from 2003 to March 2007 when the mailing lists were closed down. I was administrator of that list, and I will be trying to contact everyone who has been a member, to invite them to join this forum. At the moment the archives of that list are not available, but I have hopes that that may change.

I'd like to mention again some of the things that I said in the early days of the Brompton list -

Although this forum is nominally about Brompton by Northallerton, I don't think we should restrict it to that one village, because local and family history doesn't stop at boundaries, it's connected to the history of the areas around it. So we should allow for the forum to cover a wider area, and shouldn't object to e-mails relating to matters within a reasonable radius of the village.

However if we get overloaded with e-mails about other parishes, we'll probably ask people to start other lists for those parishes.

I'd like the list to cover family and local history of the village's area, and to
    interpret that quite widely. I was first interested in the village through an interest in my family history, and through that I have come to be interested in the village's history. So anything about that is acceptable - and there are various subjects
    - just for starters, how much do you know about
    The Battle of The Standard in 1138,
    The Saxon Hogbacks in the church,
    Enclosure and tithe maps of Brompton
    Industrial development (the linen mills),
    The war memorial
    or the Whitsun fair ?

So here's the forum - lets get on with it !

Richard Thomson
    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2007 at 9:15 PM.

thomsonfh

Default Which Brompton is it ?

Just to be clear, there are 4 Bromptons in the North Riding
    Brompton by Northallerton is about 2 miles north-east of Northallerton, and is the subject of this forum.

Brompton by Sawdon is about 30 miles to the east, near Scarborough (one time home of Sir George Cayley, baronet and aeronautical pioneer)
    Brompton on Swale is about 10 miles to the north west
    Patrick Brompton is about 10 miles to the south west

Richard

bowe

Glad to see you back in contact Richard. John bowes

jinxthecat

Hi I am interested in north allerton as my family I am researching is from there.The familys name is brignall.Do you know any thing about the family or the name,if so would love to hear from you

julie

jeanslmn

are there still people called marwood at brompton near northalerton as my husbands grt grandfather was a foggin marwood b 1834 i know they went way back to1600 s in that village

sharpy45

Hi Richard

I too am interested in the Northallerton area and Brompton in particular. Direct family links via the Garnett's in Brompton and the Moody's in Northallerton and more distant links with the Neesam and Marwood families.

Look forward to hearing from you

Jon Sharp

Rooportia

Cool Foggin Marwood , Brompton

I am the gg grandaughter of Foggin Marwood, b 1834 in Brompton. He married Frances Rawe (Rawe family fron Brompton too ) and had several children,
    Frederick 1859, Margaret 1862, Eliza 1864, Jane 1866, Henry 1868, Emma 1871, Joseph 1875, George 1878 (My g grandfather), Arthur 1879, and Frances 1881.
    I would love to hear from anyone who has any info on this family.
    Thanks Rachael x

penort

Default Byerley. Scott

Hi,
    I have just found you again Richard.
    changed computers and lost a lot of links etc.

I am trying to find something...anything about my Byerleys and Scotts who were in Brompton from at least 1780.
    Sir John Scott Byerley was born there in 1780 to Henry and Margaret Scott.
    I was hoping someone else might link in somewhere, or have some info.
    I dont even know where Henry lived but he was a carpenter and features in Bulmers.
    I do hope I am in luck.
    Many thanks.
    pennie

norseman

Quote Originally Posted by jeanslmn View Post
    are there still people called marwood at brompton near northalerton as my husbands grt grandfather was a foggin marwood b 1834 i know they went way back to1600 s in that village

my 4x great grandparents were robert judson (school master) and mary judson nee foggin they were from northallerton can anyone help me expand these 2 ancestors of mine i know they had brooks judson and george judson (my 3x great grandfather) and possibly an isabella judson who married james foggin (a tailor)

thankyou

haramsoy

George III

Smile Long Family Brompton by Northallerton

My family lines seem to go back to the Brompton area. I am looking for information on Chirstopher Long and his wife Ann Dunning. Other than their names the only information I have is they had 6 boys, William, who came to America in 1838, but has never been heard from since; Robert, of Durham, England; Thomas and Christopher, of Yorkshire, England; James, who died in infancy; and John Long my gg grandfather. The reason I became interested in the Brompton area is because John and his wife Elizabeth Dowson had a son named Henry Long who was born in Yorkshire April 9th, 1860 and was christened May 27th 1860 in Brompton by Northallerton. They also had a daughter Hannah who was christened 8-22-1862 in Brompton by Northallerton. Does anyone know if any of the Long family still lives in the area and is there any way for me to find information on Chirstopher Long and Ann Dunning? Any help would be wonderful along with simply hearing from anyone who lives were my family came from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast