pamelajd

Default John Wilkes, Lord Mayor of London

Does anyone know about the descendants of John Wilkes 1725-1797. He married Mary Meade 1947. There was a daughter from this marriage (Polly) but she had no children. There is an illegitimate daughter (Harriet) who married a William Rough. I have been unable confirm this marriage. Harriet's mother may have been Maria Arnold.

The original will of John Wilkes names Mary as a 'beloved' daughter and there is a mention of another John Wilkes ....I am presuming this is a son?

Elly

Hi,

I can't help you directly with descendants, but according to Pallot's index, the marriage of William ROUGH and Harriet WILKES was at St George the Martyr, Queen Square (that's Middlesex) in 1802. William was said to be a bachelor of Inner Temple (so he was probably a lawyer), Harriet was a spinster, and the marriage was by licence. It seems to have been a Vicar-General licence issued on 25 June 1802, so you should probably be looking for the marriage shortly after that date.

The registers for St George the Martyr, Queen Square, are at the London Metropolitan Archives. Unfortunately the marriage register seems not to have been filmed by LDS for the date you need. The LMA offers a paid research service, but the entry in the marriage register is unlikely to state parents' names, unless one of the spouses admitted to being under age and required parental consent. You should get the names of two witnesses though, who may be relatives if you are lucky.

As regards the daughter Polly, are you aware that this is commonly a nickname for Mary, so these may be one and the same daughter? Just wondered ...

Elly

pamelajd

I had forgotten about the Polly/Mary relationship - thanks. And bless you for all the other information, that gives me quite a bit to get started on. Cheers.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Rough

I think I may be a descendant of William.
    My late father, also called William John Rough born in Twickenham in Surrey in 1934.. his father also of the same Name died in the Second World War in Borneo. He left London around 1955 to live on a farm in a place called “Roughlee” east Lancashire where he met my mother.
    Would love to know if we are related as quite a rare name..