Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post

There's a death cert for Thomas Turner d. 1859, mother's surname MacDonald, aged 23 on SP. It says that he died in Auchbrech, Banff. If it IS him, his birth corresponds with Margery's death.(
    Thanks for looking however I already had the baptism and death of Thomas, and I guessed Margery died during or shortly after his birth.

The problem I have, is only 4 baptisms of children of James & Margery are coming up (the records are duplicated for some reason, so the index looks like 8 hits). So only 4 children are confirmed as children of James and Margery. When my ancester (Isabella) died, the informant didn't know her parent's first names for some reason, but knew her mother's maiden name was MC DONALD. James & Margery are the only Turner/McDonald union in the right area, so I have assumed they are Isabella's parent's. From Isabella's death in 1905, she should have been born about 1833.

I'll have a look at the Catholic "other events"

Wilkes_ml

Thanks for the heads up on the catholic registers, especially the "other" as they are like a census, and I was finally able to find the widowed James TURNER in 1839 (aged 56) with Margaret (age 15), Alexander(age 17), James (age 11 & absent), William (age 9) and Isabella (age 7). The list does not state relationships however, and out of Margaret, Alexander, James Jnr, William & Isabella, I can only find a baptism for Margaret in 1824.

the other children of James & Margery (Christina bap. 1826, John bap. 1821 and Thomas bap. 1835) are not with this James is starting to make me think I have 2 different James Turners who married different women! the fact that they both have a Margeret born 1814 could be a coincidence.....

Am I making any sense?

Wilkes_ml

For completeness, also at Nether Clashnoir, but different household was:

John TURNER (age 61) absent {possibly a widow with his grown up children?}
    Jane TURNER (age 29) absent
    Isabella TURNER (age 27) absent
    Betty TURNER (age 25) absent
    James TURNER (age 23) absent
    Mary TURNER (age 21) absent

and another houshold had just William TURNER (aged 63) so I suspect the heads of households James, John & William to be brothers.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the catholic registers, especially the "other" as they are like a census, and I was finally able to find the widowed James TURNER in 1839 (aged 56) with Margaret (age 15), Alexander(age 17), James (age 11 & absent), William (age 9) and Isabella (age 7). The list does not state relationships however, and out of Margaret, Alexander, James Jnr, William & Isabella, I can only find a baptism for Margaret in 1824.

the other children of James & Margery (Christina bap. 1826, John bap. 1821 and Thomas bap. 1835) are not with this James is starting to make me think I have 2 different James Turners who married different women! the fact that they both have a Margeret born 1814 could be a coincidence.....

Am I making any sense?
    Perhaps in the 1839 record Christina/Christian and Thomas are already with the McDonald family as in 1841. John could perhaps be the John Turner who died in 1834 and whose grave you found in post #8?

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Perhaps in the 1839 record Christina/Christian and Thomas are already with the McDonald family as in 1841. John could perhaps be the John Turner who died in 1834 and whose grave you found in post #8?
    It is James TURNER with children Margaret, Alexander, James jnr, William & Isabella who I am now looking for

I found a James (age 55) with William (age 11) at Auchvaich in 1841, and then in 1851 at Glencimma James (age 69) with Isabela (age 18) which is only 4 scedule numbers away from "Achivarch" which I believe to be the same place as Auchvaich.

I am assuming these names are of farms, as the names don't seem to come up on google maps.

I am working through the death/burial registers for James, but there are so many and Scotland's people doesn't give enough clues away to know if you have the right one, so I'm using loads of credits

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here

Wilkes_ml

The other thing that is puzzling is why the Household of John Turner & his children Jane, Isabella, betty, James & Mary are "absent" in 1839....I suspect the whole family have moved away completelyto another area, and I suspect if John (or James) had died prior to 1839, they either wouldn't be on the list, or listed as "deceased"

I was hoping to find a marriage of one of James' other children and a death to see what mother's name was given, but struggling to do that as well....the only child I have managed to track successfully is Alexander (b. 1821-1822) ...and that is because he moved to Clerkenwell, Middlesex then Islington! He married in Aberdeen in 1843, but his marriage gave no further information about his parents!

Wilkes_ml

The John TURNER at Nether Clashnoir in 1839, is still living at Clashnoir in the 1861 census (age 83) with his daughter Bell TURNER (age 43)

So I am now pretty certain that the Inveravon families are different to the Glenlivet ones buried at Chapeltown.

Sorry I didn't explain my thinking. Working on your first thought that there was one James Turner married to a McDonald -

In the 1839 list with James Turner you had children Margaret, Alexander, James jnr, William and Isabella but Christina , John and Thomas were missing.
    I'm suggesting that in 1839 two of the missing children(Christina/Christian and Thomas) could possibly be with the McDonald family - or elsewhere- and that the third (John) had possibly died in 1834.

But only a possibility!

I googled Auchvaich and came up with a site record from the Royal Commission for ancient monuments for West Auchavaich , grid refNJ249 202.

West Auchavaich is marked on OS maps and there is also an East Auchavaich. They are just south of Chapeltown. I looked on Bing maps for the os map.

The ancient monument record also mentioned that is now in Moray, formerly Banffshire.

I also looked on the National Library of Scotland which has online old maps of Scotland but this area does not seem to be covered.

edit I see that Clashnoir is North of Chapeltown so quite a wy from Auchavaich. My little brain is a bit addled and I'm off out - will reread your posts later or poss tomorrow - and see if any thoughts pop up!

Wilkes_ml

Thanks...my heads a bit foggy today yes still a possibility, and highly possible. It's a bit of a nighhtmare as everyone in Inveravon seems to be called TURNER, McDONALD or GRANT

I've going to look at it all again tomorrow, and try to summarise what I have!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast