Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    janbennett

Cool Fairford Place, Shrewsbury

Wonder if anyone can help - I'm trying to trace Fairford Place, Longden Coleham, Shrewsbury .
    It was formerly known as Pipe Passage up until at least 1891. I can't find it on any maps and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge if [a] it still exists or [b] has it been re-named again.
    Any help would be very much appreciated

MJHulme

Default Fairford Place, Shrewsbury

Hello Jan

The publication 'Shrewsbury Street Names' by John L Hobbs published 1954 says:-

FAIRFORD PLACE
    Formerly Pipe Passage, from a nineteenth century manufactory for making clay pipes, similar to those made at Broseley. This name appears in 1882, when T. Taylor, pipemaker, occupied the first house, and changed between 1896-99. [End quote]

I can't find it on the Ordnance Survey map that I have and can only suggest that you visit Shropshire Archives and study the large scale OS maps that they have there, bearing in mind the information above in case it points to any particular site.

Mike

Pat English

Default Thomas Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by MJHulme View Post
    Hello Jan

The publication 'Shrewsbury Street Names' by John L Hobbs published 1954 says:-

FAIRFORD PLACE
    Formerly Pipe Passage, from a nineteenth century manufactory for making clay pipes, similar to those made at Broseley. This name appears in 1882, when T. Taylor, pipemaker, occupied the first house, and changed between 1896-99. [End quote]

I can't find it on the Ordnance Survey map that I have and can only suggest that you visit Shropshire Archives and study the large scale OS maps that they have there, bearing in mind the information above in case it points to any particular site.

Mike

In the 1881 Census Thomas Taylor, aged 52, tobacco pipe maker, is there sure enough, with his wife and three sons, two of whom work as labourers for the great western.

It seems a very long and crowded "passage" with about 35 buildings.

It seems to come at 52 Longden Coleham in the entries, as if Longden Coleham is a street rather than an area name.

Sounds like a tenement sort of place, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was demolished!

Pat

janbennett

Cool Fairford Place formerly Pipe Passage

Many thanks both for your help, it's always fascinating to discover the origins of place/street names
    Jan

bristolloggerheads

Default Thomas Taylor

I have it on an OS map - I am also Thomas Taylor's gggg grandson. If you go down the passage by the side of William Hills near the chippie you would be using the little bit of the passage that remains. The 19 houses (and the pipe kiln) are long gone - redeveloped. I have plenty of info on it if you would care to get in touch.
    Peter Taylor

bristolloggerheads

Default William Taylor

Thomas's elder brother William is the old gentleman mentioned here.
    “An article appeared in the local Shrewsbury newspaper of 12th April 1884 under the title How the Shrewsbury Poor Live – No. 5. “This morning I selected for a visit to the Coleham district. My first visit was to Pipe Passage, a yard or court off Longden Coleham, and having received a hint that I might glean a few particulars from the occupier of a small shop near to the entrance of the passage, I called upon him for that purpose. It seems he is a pipe-maker, but whether or not it is from his circumstance the court derives its name I do not know. In reply to my inquiries he stated that there were a number of poor people living up the yard, mainly Irish, and amongst them several cases of downright distress. They obtained a very precarious sort of livelihood and he was afraid that during the winter many of them had been badly off. The houses on either side are in a fairly good state of repair externally, and with the exception of one or two there is very little to complain of in their inside arrangements. The passage was really an open yard, and the occupants of some of the houses had dug up and cultivated small patches as gardens, giving the place a more cheerful aspect.”
    I was sent this but do not have a copy of the article.
    Peter

janbennett

Cool Fairford Place formerly Pipe Passage

Peter
    Brilliant - my gg grandfather and his brother lived in Pipe Passage 1871-1891. Both familes were from Ireland so your news article is particularly interesting.
    Many thank for taking the time to share your information
    Jan

bristolloggerheads

Default W. Taylor & Co

I believe the Company owned several of the houses in Pipe Passage and some of the workers rented them although the period you are talking about I don't think the business could support both William and Thomas' families. If you let me know who lived at which numbers I'll see if I know anything else about them.

By the way William snr set up business in Coleham in 1830 but I don't know what business was there before him - whether he built his own kiln at the end of the passage or took over an existing one. Anyone know?

Peter

bristolloggerheads

Default Fairford Place

Jan,

Apparently Crockers Directory of 1882/3 lists all the tenants of Pipe Passage. When Fairford Place was re-developed in the 1960s the council papers state that only 16 properties remained with 10 having been demolished previously. A directory of 1899 states that the pipe manufactory owned nos.18 and 19 so presumably the 26 properties were all still there then.

Peter

janbennett

Default Fairford Place

Peter
    Many thanks for that. My relative was James Whelan and his family. Shown on the census 1881 & 1891 living at 25 Pipe Passage.
    Best Wishes
    Jan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast