Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    ozjackie

Default George Leith

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There is a George Leith mentioned in the Appendix of Esme Bull's book as having sailed from South Africa to New Zealand on the Reihersteig dep 26 Oct 1864. Sadly I can see no record of his sailing from the UK
    Hi Sue,
    Thanks for your time re looking for George Leith.

His father was a seaman (Merchant Service) is that the possible reason for him not being listed on ships to Sth Africa ? could he had arrived there via (Merchant service) ? George is a bit of a brick wall at the moment..
    Are there any other listings of LEITH from Scotland to South Africa as I do have some unaccounted for in Scotland ?

Regards

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by ozjackie View Post
    Hi Sue,
    Thanks for your time re looking for George Leith.

His father was a seaman (Merchant Service) is that the possible reason for him not being listed on ships to Sth Africa ? could he had arrived there via (Merchant service) ? George is a bit of a brick wall at the moment..
    Are there any other listings of LEITH from Scotland to South Africa as I do have some unaccounted for in Scotland ?

Regards

Debbie
    Esme Bull's book only lists Government assisted passages. If they came out privately or as seamen then they would not be listed.

The only other LEITH is an Elizabeth LEITH (25), cook, who sailed on the Sedgemoor in 1860. No other details given.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brian Roberts

Hi Sue,

Could you possibly do a lookup for me?
    I am looking for a James Harding who sailed from the UK in 1850 with his wife and 3 children. I think the ship's name was the Collingwood.

Thanks,

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Roberts View Post
    Hi Sue,

Could you possibly do a lookup for me?
    I am looking for a James Harding who sailed from the UK in 1850 with his wife and 3 children. I think the ship's name was the Collingwood.

Thanks,

-Brian
    Hi Brian. I'm afraid there is not much more information. They are listed in Annexure 3 at the back of the book, which lists people mentioned in passenger lists taken from the Government Gazette. The aided immigration scheme was 1857-1867.

All it says is that James HARDING with wife a 3 children (not named) sailed on the Collingwood, and that james was an agricultural labourer. No ages are given, but also listed separately as sailing on the same ship was a James R HARDING, agricultural labourer, who may have been the eldest son. Also listed was Mary Susanna HARDING, domestic servant. The Collingwood arrved at the Cape on 16 November 1850.
    Sue Mackay

Brian Roberts

Thanks very much Sue, much appreciated.

-Brian

Crumbly Hunter

Default Look-up please

Hi Sue

In understand that there's a reference to the name 'Millican' on page 422 of the book 'Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa, 1857-1867' by Esme Bull (Pretoria 1991) – apparently this is the only reference to this name.

Would you please look-up this reference & let me know what the entry reads?

Thank-you

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbly Hunter View Post
    Hi Sue

In understand that there's a reference to the name 'Millican' on page 422 of the book 'Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa, 1857-1867' by Esme Bull (Pretoria 1991) – apparently this is the only reference to this name.

Would you please look-up this reference & let me know what the entry reads?

Thank-you

Russell
    Cornelius Millican (35), sawyer, and John Millican (23), labourer, from Tulla, Co.Clare, Ireland, travelling to join Dan Millican, labourer, Port Elizabeth, sailed on the Rajasthan, which left Southamptton on 27 March 1861 and arrived at Port Elizabeth on 29 June 1861.
    Sue Mackay

Crumbly Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Cornelius Millican (35), sawyer, and John Millican (23), labourer, from Tulla, Co.Clare, Ireland, travelling to join Dan Millican, labourer, Port Elizabeth, sailed on the Rajasthan, which left Southamptton on 27 March 1861 and arrived at Port Elizabeth on 29 June 1861.
    Many thanks Sue.

Russell

D Clark

Default Immigration to South Africa

Hello,
    I am trying to trace the history of my family who we believe left for South Africa in the late 1800's. I would be very grateful if you could look up the surname Clark or possibly Clarke, with first names being Thomas or Frances. Unfortunately I have no further information so, anything that you can tell me would be really helpful. Thanks for your time.
    D Clark

My book only covers aided immigration between 1857 and 1867. There were numerous Clark(e)s, but I can't see a Thomas and Frances.

The pay per view site Findmypast has passenger lists from 1890-1960. If they went out in the 1870s/1880s it is more difficult, although the Genealogyworld site (mentioned on this thread) has some passenger lists to Natal taken from newspapers.

You could also try searching NAAIRS (see thread referred to above) for death notices etc. There are some hits for Frances Clarke.
    Sue Mackay

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast