Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethjones1 View Post
    Thanks Sue for the above address !it will take me days to go through it but have made a start Oh what joy
    Don't forget the Google Book Search Treasure Hunt
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=29584
    Closes midnight Wednesday
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

apehangmom

Default tips of the trade..

Thanks for the good word. Its sad that after a few computer classes over the years.. some bits of info slip away.. lol .. thanks for the continung education.. lol .. sometimes I forget to do things that save me a million hours on line looking at .. the wrong ancestors. lol thanks chris

daisycakes

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips on Google have just tried it.... great...daisycakes

BimJim

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Welsford View Post
    I have been gob-smacked when using Google to have it find threads that I put on this forum literally on the day beforehand.

Goodness knows how they manage to keep trawling around so much material and be so up to date.
    I created and administer several Discussion Forums, and the software allows the admin to see who is "on line" at any specific moment. Regularly, out of 10 "guests" viewing the Forum no less than 9 will be search engine "spiders" - automated software cataloging the pages - and of those 9, usually 8 will be Google spiders.

Google is to my mind therefore the most active data seeker on the internet - which is not all that suprising, given that the youthful management and staff seem to be genuinely interested in remaining at number one, and with that kind of funding and brainpower in-house it really can't cost much more to run 10,000 spidering software programs continuously than to run just 10 - which is basically the same kind of thinking behind SPAMming.

Joanna1

Default Google

Quote Originally Posted by apehangmom View Post
    Thanks for the good word. Its sad that after a few computer classes over the years.. some bits of info slip away.. lol .. thanks for the continung education.. lol .. sometimes I forget to do things that save me a million hours on line looking at .. the wrong ancestors. lol thanks chris

I can sympathize with you the same for me; I love my lap top I'm trying to learn more. G-B are so helpful with adivce on how to get going, also with their amazing knowlege of finding things which I would never find. I really need help and they are all so kind. We will get there in the end. Some are better than ohters at google like anything though once you know it is easy. Joanna

Here are a couple more tips.

When searching large genealogical sites with lots of transcriptions etc for a mention of a particular name, enter the following into Google

gilstain site:[type in URL of site]

This will bring up all mentions of the name Gilstain on that site.

Similarly typing in hayward site:https://www.theshipslist.com/ will bring up hits for people called Hayward named in passenger lists on that site.

If you are researching a name like Church, which comes up in just about every genealogical search, try entering

church + surname

or

church + surname + rootsweb

It doesn't eliminate all the problems, but it does help to focus in a little bit.

Edit: I keep trying to remove the hyperlinks so you can see the whole thing you have to type in, and they keep coming back
    The formula is
    surname site:URL
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 03-03-2009 at 9:24 PM. Reason: trying to get rid of links
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Cassie2008

Default searching

Hi I have tried some of the tips you have given and have located interesting information on some of my ancestors that was on the net
    thanks!

v.wells

Thanks for bumping this up! I needed another refresher course!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Not sure if these have been mentioned but there is an advanced facility on Google Images and something called Google News Archive.
    Browneyes

v.wells

Bump. I need help

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast