Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Bond View Post
    Hi Sue,
    I have been practicing your search tips for Google all morning.
    Thank you for this useful information.
    Heather
    Canada
    Hope you've found some useful stuff along the way!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

helen57

Hi Sue & Jim

Thank you so much, I am one who puts in words and gets reams of hits.
    You have both help cut out the hits that are useless to me

Again a big thank you

Helen

Nicos

Oh boy...I wonder how many hours I must have wasted in the past!!

Thanks folks!

Joanna1

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Don't forget that Google has specific Operating System related searches too. Useful if you are looking for the answer to a computing problem which is related to your choice of OS
    https://www.google.co.uk/microsoft for Windows problems
    https://www.google.co.uk/linux for Linux related issues
    https://www.google.co.uk/mac for Apple/Mac queries
    https://www.google.co.uk/bsd for BSD/Unix questions

Remember to use the correct location for your country - co.uk for the UK, .com for USA etc
    It is worth a look at the different OS specific sites - even if only to see the different logos that Google use for them! But the right choice can help avoid hundreds of pointless hits for an OS you do not use.

Mark
    Thanks Mark but what is OS? What does it stand for?

Danno

Thanks for the Hints & Tips

I used to put the words 'Genealogy & Family Tree' along with the names I was searching for.
    I'll be using these tips from now on.

Cheers
    Danno

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna1 View Post
    Operating System. Yours is very probably Windows.
    Sue Mackay

Default Google Book Search

Don't forget Google Book Search

This can be reached via the main Google page but it is well worth bookmarking
    https://books.google.com/

Type in a name you are interested in, using inverted commas. It will bring up instances of the name in books, some of which can be read on line, some of which are closed (but you get a tantalising glimpse of the relevant extract).

One of the most useful things on Google Book Search is when searching for things that were in early publications such as The Gentleman's Magazine. Type in "Gentleman's Magazine" "Thomas Smith", for example, and see the sort of thing that comes up.

Warning! You can play around in this site for days! But the hits that come up are not on normal Google, and there are a lot of 18th and 19th century BMDs from Harleian Society publications and other journals.

I even discovered that one of my ancestors, an apothecary, had written pamphlets on the medicinal properties of plants!
    Sue Mackay

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna1 View Post
    In this case, Operating System, Joanna. For example Microsoft Windows XP is an Operating System. Mac OSX is also an Operating System.

Mark

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just another tip that can help sometimes.

If you are looking for a topic and more than just the usual info found on Google you could type a word like 'article' or 'research' or 'e-text' 'online book' before the name of the topic. E-texts and online books can be lengthy but fascinating reading. If they're in pdf format you can search for a word using the binocular symbol, if not in pdf try using 'find' under Edit at the top of your screen. You might get lucky too if you add a specific date or century to your search.

Browneyes

elizabethjones1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Don't forget Google Book Search

This can be reached via the main Google page but it is well worth bookmarking
    https://books.google.com/

Type in a name you are interested in, using inverted commas. It will bring up instances of the name in books, some of which can be read on line, some of which are closed (but you get a tantalising glimpse of the relevant extract).

One of the most useful things on Google Book Search is when searching for things that were in early publications such as The Gentleman's Magazine. Type in "Gentleman's Magazine" "Thomas Smith", for example, and see the sort of thing that comes up.

Warning! You can play around in this site for days! But the hits that come up are not on normal Google, and there are a lot of 18th and 19th century BMDs from Harleian Society publications and other journals.

I even discovered that one of my ancestors, an apothecary, had written pamphlets on the medicinal properties of plants!
    Thanks Sue for the above address !it will take me days to go through it but have made a start Oh what joy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast