Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    radnor2

Default What happened to GGf Gustav?

What happened to Great-grandfather Rudolph Gustav Paul Heise? I can find no record of him on any census returns, only on birth and marriage certificates.
    There are various Heise families around the country but they don’t seem to be any connection. The most promising ones are on the 1901 census living in London and born in Berlin, they are Julius and Bertha and their son and daughter in law Ernest and Ellen or Ella (formerly Henbrey born in London) and their daughter Florence aged 3. There is reason to believe that she is not their daughter, but their niece.
    On the 20th January 1898 Gustav married Sarah Jane Hartwell in the Marylebone Register Office. His occupation is Hairdressers Assistant. Address is 5 Gowan Avenue, Fulham. Fathers name Julius, occupation Bandmaster.
    8 days later on January 28th Anna Florence is born. I have a copy of her birth certificate.
    On February 25th 1899 Sarah has a baby Edith in Paddington Workhouse. She was to become my Grandmother in 1948. Gustav is now a Hairdresser. I have a copy of her birth certificate.

At the 1901 census Sarah was living with Edith at 244 Cornwall Road, Kensington but no mention of Gustav.
    Now we move on to the Wirral. In 1904 Gustav and Sarah are living at 28 Clarence Road, Poulton cum Seacombe a boy Julius Paul was born on February 15th and died 28 days later of syphilis. This information is from copy birth and death certificates.
    It is interesting to note that in 1903 Ernest and Ella were living in May Avenue, Poulton. I see from a map that it is almost the next street.
    I have a copy birth certificate of their son Max Paul who was born on the 24th May 1903. I have trawled the BMD index and can find no more mention of them.
    I knew Florence and Edith well but I could never get them to talk about the past. Florence never married and lived with Sarah her mother until she died in 1954. They said that their father had disappeared and that one day their mother said that their surname was to be Paul.
    They were hairdressers in Balls Road Oxton, and also in Park Gate. I don’t know dates but it was when my mother and her brother and sister were growing up. They know nothing of the past either. The last address was Chester High Road Burton. Florence was a well-known breeder of cocker spaniels and cairn terriers. She went to live in Ross on Wye In about 1968 to be near Eileen her niece (my mother) and died there in
    Even though Sarah was known as Sarah Paul on her death certificate she is described as widow of Gustav Heise Master Hairdresser.
    Edith married Robert Butler Charters of Walton on the Hill and had 3 children Jim, Eileen and Kathleen (all living). He was a mechanical engineer with the Post Office He died in Kendal in 1952 and Edith died in Kendal in 1973.

But what happened to Gustav? If at sometime I were to go to Birkenhead where should I look? Hope I hav'nt written too much.

Wirral

Welcome to the forum.
    I think the electoral registers for Poulton are at my local library, Wallasey Central, rather than at Birkenhead. I'll have a look next week, but I'm off camping tomorrow morning, so it will be at the end of the week as the library is closed for Bank Holiday.

radnor2

Thanks Wirral that was quick. We are also going camping next week, to the Lake District, so look forward to some good weather and news soon.

Wirral

I haven't been to Wallasey library yet, but I went to Liverpool today & looked through some of the trade directories.

Gore's/Kelly's Liverpool & area Trade Directories 1906 - 1913
    1907, 1908, HEISE Paul, hairdresser's assistant, 16 Bridle Road, Seacombe
    1909 HEISE Paul, hairdresser's assistant, 57 Barrington Road, Wavertree

1906 HEISE Ernest, 5 May Avenue, York Road, Seacombe
    1908, 1909, 1910 HEISE Ernest, 12 Barrington Road, Toxteth Park

1908 HEISE Mrs Bertha, 22 Barrington Road, Toxteth Park
    1909 HEISE Mrs Bertha, 51 Barrington Road, Wavertree [the road goes through 2 districts]

1906, 1907, 1908 HEISE Mrs Harriette, 11 Ravenscroft Road, Birkenhead

1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1911, 1912, 1913 HEISE Fritz Gustav, accountant, St Andrews, Bertram Drive, (Birkenhead Road), Great Meols [he was the only HEISE listed in 1913]

1910, 1911 HEISE Carl, clerk, 35 York Avenue, Great Crosby

1910 PAUL & PARKER, hairdressers, 28 Balls Road, Claughton
    1911 PAUL Robert, hairdresser, 28 Balls Road, Claughton

I've still no idea what happened to Rudolf/Gustav/Paul/Heise or whatever he was calling himself. As his son died of congenital syphilis, maybe that caused a family rift.

According to FreeBMD, Harriet HEISE died in 1908 in Birkenhead. Also, Max Paul HEISE appears to be one of twins as there is the birth of an Ella Millicent HEISE at the same time.
    Last edited by Wirral; 01-09-2007 at 5:33 PM. Reason: Surname of Robert in 1911 PAUL, not HEISE.

Wirral

I went to Wallasey library today, but the earliest electoral register they had was 1907. No-one was listed at 16 Bridle Road in 1907 or 1908 (where Paul HEISE was in 1907 & 1908 according to the trade directory). Nor was there anyone with the name HEISE in May Avenue (where Ernest was in 1906 according to the trade directory).
    No sign of any HEISEs or PAULs in the 1920-1924 Wallasey Postal directories, so it looks like the family had moved to Balls Road, Claughton by 1910.
    By the way, I made a mistake in the surname of Robert, hairdresser, 28 Balls Road in the 1911 directory. His surname was PAUL, not HEISE.

radnor2

Many thanks for the info. I think that there are one or two interesting threads there to be persued. I dont think that Fritz Gustav was any connection. the fact that you found Bertha was interesting,also the twin of Max I missed that when looking up the BMD, The Balls Road they lived in is in Birkenhead, not Claughton. Do foreign nationals have to register deaths in this country? Thanks again.

Wirral

Claughton is part of Birkenhead. Just to confuse matters, Balls Road is now classed as Prenton.

radnor2

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Claughton is part of Birkenhead. Just to confuse matters, Balls Road is now classed as Prenton.
    Have just had Ediths marriage cert. She was married in 1923 and her maiden name was HEISE which was a surprise as we had been led to beleive that they had changed their name to PAUL much earlier. Fathers name PAUL HEISE
    and he was still alive then.

suedent

Are you aware that just because the father is not recorded as being deceased on a certificate isn't proof that he was alive. Perhaps the celebrant didn't think to ask the question.

My step gg-grandmother's marriage certificate to my maternal gg-grandfather in 1870 just gave her father's name & occupation. I hunted for her father in the 1861 & 1871 censuses without success. He was of added interest as her brother had married into my paternal family.

It was only when I got the certificate for her first marriage that I discovered that her father had died sometime prior to 1862. (I eventually discovered that he died in 1854).

radnor2

Thanks suedent
    On this certificate the grooms father was deceased but not the brides ( my GM) he was down as a hairdresser. But he may not have been at the wedding because the witnesses were mother and sister. Am I reading too much between the lines.
    MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast