Default Robert Valentine MOODIE b. 1886 Glasgow

I am looking for any information about the family of the following man, please. He was a close friend of my grandfather during the First World War, and I would be keen to locate any family members.

Robert Valentine MOODIE (or MOODY) was born on 14 Feb 1886 in Glasgow, and served for 4 years in the 1st Dunbartonshire M.I. before emigrating to Canada. He enlisted in the CEF at Winnipeg, Manitoba in November 1914, served on the Western Front in WW1, and died on 26 March 1956 (not sure if this was in Canada, back in Scotland, or elsewhere).

His CEF service records show next-of-kin as a Miss Jane M. MOODIE of Leiterellen Stepps, nr. Glasgow in 1914, but I have nothing further about his family.

Regards and best wishes,

sally

Hi Brett

Have you tried Scotlands people a pay per view site. They have 1871-1901 census data as well as births/christenings, marriage & deaths so you may be able to find Robert with his family on the 1891 & 1901.

Regards
    Sally

Hi Sally,

Yes I'm aware of the site and have used it in the past for my own family, although the prices are a bit steep for me to consider using it for this chap, as he's unrelated, and I'm more interested in finding descendants than ancestors. However, I'm grateful to you for your help.

Regards and best wishes,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Robert Valentine Moodie Family Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am looking for any information about the family of the following man, please. He was a close friend of my grandfather during the First World War, and I would be keen to locate any family members.

Robert Valentine MOODIE (or MOODY) was born on 14 Feb 1886 in Glasgow, and served for 4 years in the 1st Dunbartonshire M.I. before emigrating to Canada. He enlisted in the CEF at Winnipeg, Manitoba in November 1914, served on the Western Front in WW1, and died on 26 March 1956 (not sure if this was in Canada, back in Scotland, or elsewhere).

His CEF service records show next-of-kin as a Miss Jane M. MOODIE of Leiterellen Stepps, nr. Glasgow in 1914, but I have nothing further about his family.

Regards and best wishes,
    Robert Valentine Moodie was my great-granduncle. I have just recently in the last few years started researching the Moodie line and in the last week, more specifically, Robert. A cousin in New Zealand mentioned his mother used to call him Robin and said he had married a lady with 4-5 kids. I have found no evidence of this, but continue to search. I am fascinated by the details of his time in service.

I am a first generation US citizen. My father William Henry Moodie immigrated in 1956. I descend from Robert's brother William Henry Moodie (m. Rachel Cumming). I am also in contact with descendants from his other brothers John A Moodie, James F Moodie, and sister Ann Whyte Moodie.

Would love to hear from you....hoping 17 years isn't too long to make a connection.
    Thanks,
    Sandra Moodie Tucker

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Sandra.
    Since I was using Scotlands People, and Brett says that he didn't know which country Robert had died in, I had a quick look at their index. There is a death recorded in Dalserf and Larkhall (SE of Glasgow) for a Robert Moodie aged 70. which would be 1886). He might be worth checking, but I have no credits on SP at the moment. A second one in 1956 is for Robert Robertson Moodie aged 62 (1894), and thus not your guy.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley! Thank you so much for your response.

I just recently found Robert buried in Alberta Canada. Someone just took a picture of his grave for me yesterday. As part of my search for info on Robert, I came across this site and the message that Brett left in 2004. I was hoping to connect with Brett as he was looking for descendants. Was hoping he might have some more details that might lead me down a possible path. I've been looking through all of the Ancestry and Scotland's People records (just in case he went back) and have not found anything to verify any information that was passed down verbally (ie Bob married a woman with 4-5 children). There appears to be little/no information from 1919 when he left the service in Canada to his death. I'll continue to search everywhere I can. Thank you!

Hi Lesley and Sandra - Thanks very much for your replies. Good to hear that you found the death and burial records, Sandra, because that death date was merely handwritten on the cover of his CEF Service Records file, and I wasn't even sure that it was correct. Let's hope we can track down this mystery family. I will be in touch by email too, Sandra.
    Regards, Brett