Just checking out some previous threads I see that I have not replied/thanked everyone for their help with this matter. I have not carried out much research on this line for a while but think I will have to start on kirk or parish records. I think his father will definitely have been John (if they followed tradition) as his wife was Elizabeth McKenzie and her father I know was Alexander McKenzie. First son was John, first daughter was Harriet but that I think is a red herring as she was named Harriet Abercrombie McLeod, not a family name but I believe (and I'm guessing here) that she was named after a Dr Abercrombie in Edinburgh who I believe held a clinic for the poor or maybe her mother worked for the family as he had a daughter called Harriet. I will just have to keep on searching. However, the more I look, the more I can see that there are errors in transcription as handwriting is obviously difficult to read. I have a feeling I may just not get any further with this one. But thanks to everyone for their suggestions.