Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Question Hope Inn, Wisbech, 1939

I am trying to find out the names of the people at the Hope Inn around 1939. I have a 1937 reference to a James E Randall as the proprietor and the address is 19 Canal Street. Come the 1939 Electoral Register and 19 Canal Street has no mention of it being the Hope Inn, although other Inns are mentioned in other streets. I understand that it was still a pub "the day War broke out".
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Knowledgeable and helpful

Peter would this be a picture of the pub. See link.

https://www.
    francisfrith.com/pageloader.asp?page=/search/photos/viewphoto.asp&neg=W115019&townid=W115&collectionid =10&start=1

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I had seen the photo and the date Circa 1955! So I'm even more confused why No 19 is not shown as the Inn in 1939.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

I've found out a bit more and the people I'm looking for seem to be Elizabeth and George Bartram. I got put off by thinking they were husband and wife, but I now think they were brother and sister, or father and daughter. They seem to have still been there after the War. Stir any memories.

Peter
    Peter Nicholl

bmmdonald

George and Elizabeth Bartram were my grandparents, they were husband and wife. Inhabited the Hope Inn Wisbech 1937/8 but have not got exact years (which I would like to have) but I am sure they were not there after the war as they moved to King`s Lynn as my cousin and nephew were both born at their next address

bmmdonald

I am now even more confused about the years my grandparents (George and Elizabeth Bartram) spent at the Hope in Wisbech as my eldest sister was or what I have found on an old photo that she was born at 3 Cresswell street King`s Lynn in October 1921

Default Bartrum

Quote Originally Posted by bmmdonald View Post
    I am now even more confused about the years my grandparents (George and Elizabeth Bartram) spent at the Hope in Wisbech as my eldest sister was or what I have found on an old photo that she was born at 3 Cresswell street King`s Lynn in October 1921
    Hi, I am now sat with my Grandmother looking at photos of the Bartrums. I believe that Elizabeth and George were her Grandparents. She has memories of the Hope in Wisbech. Would love to share memories with you

I am so glad that this thread has been rekindled. I have moved on quite a bit since 2007.
    My Grand Mother was Charlotte Nicholl (nee Stiles), she was born on 9 December 1874. Charlotte had, amongst others, had two younger sisters, Elizabeth “Betsy” and Sarah Ann. Sadly, Charlotte died only a few years after my Father was born and he was brought up by his Step Mother. I am not sure if he ever met up with his Aunts, although some of his Brothers did. In fact it was two of my Cousins who were at the Hope Inn on the day War broke out.
    Elizabeth was born on 11 May 1884 and Sarah on 11 January 1888. Both girls were Baptised on 7 October 1891 at the Eton Mission District Hackney.
    Elizabeth married George Frederick Bartrum as Elizabeth Betsy Stiles on 26 May 1901 at St Mary Eton Parish Church Hackney. Both Bride and Groom gave their address as 35 Mallard Street. The 1939 Register shows them as being at the Hope Inn.
    Sarah Ann Stiles married Alfred Stiffell on 25 February 1906 at St Mary of Eton Church, Hackney. Alfred died in 1959 and was buried in Abney Park Cemetery on 8 May that year. In early 1960 one of my Uncles returned from America and went to live with his Aunt Sarah. My Uncle died in January 1962 and Sarah Died in 1974.
    Peter Nicholl