Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PropPete

Question The Dale's of Suffolk

I've come across reference on the www to a book entitled The Dale's of Suffolk (that's the Dale family, not the landscape!). Suffolk Dale family history goes back to c1220 with Radulphi de la Dale, and Dale Hall, which stood in Ipswich until the 1920s, was their seat. Has anyone heard of the book, or knows where I can find a copy?

Mythology

Oh dear, I was hoping somebody would have an answer here, but as you've drawn a blank, I will throw in my jaundiced opinion with a couple of "long shot" suggestions.

As you've used an apostrophe in "Dale's", I'm guessing that you are quoting from a message on Rootsweb dating back to October 1996, yes?

Long shot suggestion 1 - the fellow probably has a different e-mail address by now, but you could *try* getting in touch with him to find out where and when it was published, and where he got hold of it.

However, let's look at some of that message...
    "Should soon receive a copy of the book "The Dale's of Suffolk". This is an excellent historical account"
    How does he know it's excellent if he hasn't yet received it? "Baldwyn was Lord of the Manor of Dale Hall in Thuriston in the North East of Ipswich." It's Thurleston, not Thuriston. "this reportedly came about because of a Visitation of the Heralds from the College of Arms in 1613 to Brigstock Co.; and these arms were comfirmed as a result of that visit..."
    I'm sure the residents of Brigstock will be overjoyed to learn that their delightful Northamptonshire village has now been elevated to county status.

A rude expression involving the backside and the bendy bit of the arm springs to mind - what chance do you reckon there is of him having got the title of the book right? And if it does exist under that title, it may turn out to be one of those "give us your surname and a few hundred dollars and we'll send you a beautiful book (leather-effect binding, with gold-effect lettering, parchment-style pages) on your family's history" type of publications.

But (long shot 2), as it's Ipswich, on the offchance that, like my Debenham one, this is something pretty old and privately printed, so not likely to appear on the shelf in the local Oxfam shop, you could *try* asking somebody to keep an eye out for it.
    Last edited by Mythology; 09-07-2007 at 8:22 AM.

Reputation beyond repute

Like Mythology, my first thought was that anything with a grocer's apostrophe in the title is not worth pursuing.

However, checking the Society of Genealogists library catalogue, I see that "The Dales of Suffolk 1200-1903 : Family history tracts, vol. 154" is included (note the absence of an apostrophe in the title)

So there's one answer for you - hop on a train and peruse the document at the Society of Genealogists library.

Mythology

Well spotted, Peter - I will give myself a smacked wrist for not looking there!

PropPete

Wink That looks like it!

Thanks for your replies. Glad to know there are some people just as cynical as me when it comes to "information" on the www. The originator of the RootsWeb thread, Don B. Dale, has indeed changed his email address. I hadn't spotted the obvious error about Brigstock, but did know the author meant Thurleston (sometimes referred to and spelt as Whitton-cum-Thurlston). I did much of my courting around that area, particularly on an area of then wasteland known as The Dales. Until recently, I thought this refered to the geology, not the Dale family seat. The roads in that area, Dales Road and Dale Hall Lane, should have set bells ringing. My dad's sister married a Dale, and I've "traced" his uncorroborated ancestry back to 1220 with huge help from other Dales on the www. It remains to be seen how the evidence holds up on close inspection. I'll be booking a visit to the SoG library very soon.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PropPete
    I'll be booking a visit to the SoG library very soon.
    If going to the SoG, don't forget they need ID for non-members (CARN card acceptable). You'll probably find it worth getting a full day ticket (or joining!) because there's bound to be other stuff you want to do while the resources are at hand. Planning ahead with the catalogue pays dividends.

pengree

Default Bohuns of Dale Hall

My ancestor Edmund Bohun (~1635-1699) had an estate called Dale Hall in Suffolk. He was a descendant of the Earls of Hereford (de Bohuns). He authored a number of books and was among other things a licenser of the press under King William and Queen Mary. He fell from favor and lost that position. He left a dairy and autobiography that was published in the 1800s. He was appointed the first Chief Justice of South Carolina in 1698 and died there in 1699.

Clayton Rhodes
    Savannah, GA USA

jdale86

Default Dale family History

My family has compiled the Dale family history from 1200-current day. I have just typed up and edited the first volume (1200-1903).

This is availible as a hard back book from

www.
    lulu.com under the title of "The Dales of Suffolk" by Alfred Dale
    Last edited by Procat; 09-04-2011 at 2:33 AM. Reason: Link to commercial site removed. See AUP

Default Any chance this book is for sale anywhere?

Wondering if this book might be available anywhere for purchase?

Dale Randol

Quote Originally Posted by jdale86 View Post
    My family has compiled the Dale family history from 1200-current day. I have just typed up and edited the first volume (1200-1903).

This is availible as a hard back book from

www.
    lulu.com under the title of "The Dales of Suffolk" by Alfred Dale

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Dale,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I went to lulu.com and entered the author's name and the book title in separate searches without success. You could perhaps try sites such as eBay, or AbeBooks.

As the book appears to have been self-published I'm not sure if a copy had to be given to the British Library, but even so you would need to come to the UK to access it. Seems as if it might have been published two years too early, though you could always ask.
    https://www.bl.uk/aboutus/legaldeposit/introduction/

There is also something lurking in the back of my brain about copies of books being given to international 'national libraries' (e.g. the US equivalent of the British Library) but the details elude me at the moment. Perhaps I'm just confusing it with the other libraries in the UK named in that legal deposit link.

You could try sending jdale86 a private message (click on their name at the left of the page, and then click on the link in the dropdown menu). Him/her receiving such a message is dependent on them using the same email address as they have registered at BG, and it might have changed in the eight years since they joined us.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast