Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    wendypusey

Talking Colenutts of the Isle of Wight

I have done extensive research into the Colenutt family of the Isle of Wight.

If anyone wants any info please send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you.

Wendy

[edited by moderator - please note, Wendy is no longer a member of the forums, but there are others in this thread interested in the surname]
    Last edited by ChristineR; 17-04-2009 at 4:41 AM. Reason: for the people who skim over intervening posts

graynut

Default colenutts/colnets

Hi Wendy.
    My name is Graham Colenutt and I live in Leeds.
    I am really interested in what information you may have regards the family history. I am related directly to the Colenutts of Ryde and have extensive information regarding the IoW Colenutts/Colnets going back to circa 1500.
    I have recently discovered the existence of two Colnet brothers who were magistrates officiating at Winchester mid 15th century.
    Look forward to hearing from you <[email protected]>

Gill.g

Quote Originally Posted by graynut View Post
    Hi Wendy.
    My name is Graham Colenutt and I live in Leeds.
    I am really interested in what information you may have regards the family history. I am related directly to the Colenutts of Ryde and have extensive information regarding the IoW Colenutts/Colnets going back to circa 1500.
    I have recently discovered the existence of two Colnet brothers who were magistrates officiating at Winchester mid 15th century.
    Look forward to hearing from you <[email protected]>
    Hi Graham

Not sure if you are still visiting this forum, but if you are, I'm very interested in the Colenutt history on the IoW. My mother's family are from the island and our links are Colenutt, Howlett and Youngs.

Would love to exchange info but perhaps am writing after you've left.

Gill

Sandra Parker

Don't forget Ann Barretts wonderful resources.
    https://www.annbarrett.co.uk/
    Sandra with th spectacled aura

Gill.g

Thanks for that link Sandra. I will be visiting the island in the not too distant future I hope so intend to do stacks of leg work getting around some of the areas I know my family were based in.

barrie wise

Default Colenutts of the Isle of Wight

Hello Gill and possibly Graham,

Thought this might be of interest to you - I have been researching the U.K. Howletts for a family reunion we are having this weekend in Campania, Tasmania, and I briefly touched upon the Isle of Wight connection.
    James Howlett, born 1835 Stutton, Suffolk, died 1903 Shanklin, IOW, married Hannah Colenatt, born 1833 IOW, died 1894 Shanklin, about March 1862. They ran a boarding house "Osborne House" on the island, and had three boys, Henry James, William Alfred, and Walter Barry.

Jame's uncle, Lazarus Howlett was convicted of stealing and was transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1828 leaving behind a wife and three children. He married again and has many descendants, hence the reunion.

Regards,
    Barrie.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Graham is still about, though hasn't posted to the forum again as yet.
    ChristineR

Gill.g

Barrie

We are related! My grandmother was Dora Howlett (William Alfred was her father). I'd love to learn more and exchange info. I've only recently been talking about Osborne House which apparently is now a hotel called the Pink Beach Hotel.

I had no idea that there was a Tasmanian connection! Oh my goodness, how exciting is this!!

Gill

Sandra Parker

Hi Barrie,
    I have a Hannah, daughter of William Colenutt and Sarah Arthur. She was born and died in 1776 at Niton, so certainly isn't yours, but the name is obviously a family one.
    I believe that William and Sarah had 14 children, of whom probably only 3 died very young. Their daughter, Jane Colenutt, 1793-1886?, married my GGGGrandfather, George Barton in Portsea 1821.
    I have quite a bit unverified information back to Richard Colnet 1506-1551, if you are interested. Names include William, Barnabus, John, Abraham, Richard, James, Phillip and Dousabelle, who may have married Nicholas Love in 1607.

Sandra with the spectacled aura

Gill.g

Hi Sandra

I know you addressed your post to Barrie, but hope you don’t mind me responding.

I’m a direct descendant of Hannah Colenutt via her marriage to James Howlett. She was born in 1826 and died in 1894 whilst still at Osborne House. The Colenutt’s have a very long history on the Isle of Wight.

The Colenutt name seems to have changed from Colnett and I definitely have an unverified Barnabas Colnett (1556-1607) who married Elizabeth Mills. They had a son called John who married Joanne Mewe and they had a child called James who married Sarah Dillington. None of these are verified.

It would be interesting to compare notes and I’d be fascinated to know if there is any connection.

Regards

Gill

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast