Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sandra Parker

Hi Gill, I will send you a PM. Seems like we have some names in common.
    Cheers
    Sandra

annmarie44

Hi to both Sandra and Gill,

I am a descendent of another of the COLENUT daughters; Phebe born to William and Sarah ARTHUR in 1781. I also would be very interested in comparing notes. Also would love the opportunity to trace the COLENUT/COLNET back to their early history on IoW.

Regards,

AnnMarie

graynut

Quote Originally Posted by Gill.g View Post
    Hi Graham

Not sure if you are still visiting this forum, but if you are, I'm very interested in the Colenutt history on the IoW. My mother's family are from the island and our links are Colenutt, Howlett and Youngs.

Would love to exchange info but perhaps am writing after you've left.

Gill
    Hi Gill.
    Not really into this format of contact so bear with me.
    Yes I am still engaged in the recording of all material associated with the Colnet/Colenutt dynasty but this last 18 months my time has been taken with helping members of my family, principally my eldest son who has built his own house here in Bardsey near Leeds.
    I am at present in the advanced stages of attempting to compile a book about the family. Until recent years I had been hesitant because of damage done to early research by a self-deluded individual who lived on the Isle of Wight. It is alleged that he falsified certain documents, including wills, and this act threw doubt on certain aspects of the considerable work carried out out by three retired cousins between 1950 and 1978.
    His claims are now laid to rest with the discovery of two Colnets at Winchester in the mid to late 15th century and it is pretty certain that one of these individuals moved with his new wife Joan Dauntesay to the Isle of Wight circa 1520. I am more convinced that these two Richards in Winchester are related to the Colnets of Sheppey, London, one of whom Nicolas Colnet was Prebendary to Lincoln Cathedral and commanded by Henry V to accompany the King to Agincourt in 1415. It is from this family that the famous Captain James Colnet rose to serve with Captain Cook on his voyages of discovery on the western seaboard of the Americas. The name Colnet can be found from Mexico to Vancouver and on The New Hebridean Islands.
    The Winchester 'Richard Colnets' (father and son) had brothers, one of whom appears to have settled at Bosham, Hampshire, and started another branch of the family which probably integrated with the IoW family. There is certainly written evidence appertaining to land releases or sales between these members of the Colnets. et al.
    Please contact me via my email address where I feel more confident..<[email protected]>.
    Kind regards
    Graham

Sandra Parker

Thank you Graham, for your help re my Jane Colenutt and her antecedents. Also for clearing up the mysterious(?) arrival of Richard on IOW in 1520's.
    Sandra

gary64

Post Colenutt

Quote Originally Posted by Gill.g View Post
    Hi Graham

Not sure if you are still visiting this forum, but if you are, I'm very interested in the Colenutt history on the IoW. My mother's family are from the island and our links are Colenutt, Howlett and Youngs.

Would love to exchange info but perhaps am writing after you've left.

Gill
    Hi Gill, my name is Gary and I live on the Isle of wight and I,m doing my Family History and i,m related to the colenutt,s my surname is butler , my Great Grandfather Frederick Butler married Bessie Colenutt in 1901 and I can trace my family back to Giovanni Colenutt in 1480 he came from Italy,would love to exchange info with you. Gary

graynut

Hi Gary.
    Please refer to my entry dated 23/06/2010above.

You will see from the text that you can forget all about Giovanni. He was a figment in the mind of a seriously deluded individual and never existed. The roots of our family lie firmly in Winchester and formerly, most likely the London area. I would kindly suggest that any effort available should be directed towards finding more information regarding the two Richard Colnets (father and son) who both resided in Winchester during the mid to late 15th cent. It may also be prudent to investigate the former's connection to Henry Beaufort the then Chancellor of the Exchequer under Henry V. At least one of these two Colnets was Lord Mayor of Winchester and the latter most likely the father of Richard of Combley. Richard of Combley married Joan Dauntesay of Lavington and they lived on the IoW. Richard d. circa 1551.
    The hoped for result would tie them to Nichol Colnet, Prebendary of Lincoln, who was the physician to Henry V and who went with him to Agincourt in 1415. The full extent of Colnet held property and land in Winchester should be traceable. There are records in existence showing them to own/occupy properties in and around the flesh market in the center of the town and possibly the 'God Begot' house which still stands there.
    Strangely enough my mother was Bessie Colentt.
    Please keep in touch.
    Graham

glenysj123

Default Colenutts

I've just read with great interest some posts about the Colenutt family from the Isle of Wight. They are a couple of years old so I don't know if any of you are still out there but if you are, I'm looking for information on that family as well as the Dauntesey's. My 5X great grandmother was Mary Colenut married to Thomas Spragg. Through online info I can trace her (whether correctly or not) back to Richard Colnette who married Joanna Dauntesey, daughter of Sir John Dauntesey and Alice Blake.

Is it possible that Sir John Dauntesey and Henry VIII were cousins? How I would love to prove that!

Hope to hear from someone soon,
    Glenys

Sandra Parker

Was your Mary the daughter of Barnabus, or Abraham (Abraham the father and Abraham the son, both had daughters named Mary), or William or Isaac? I do have some details, limited verification unfortunately.
    Sorry, can't help with the Royal Cousin connection.
    Sandra

glenysj123

Default Mary Colenut

Hi Sandra,

The information I have (from a Sprake cousin) says that Mary's father was Abraham 1674-1747. Her mother was Elizabeth Cook 1672-. Mary's grandfather was William Colenut 1645-1709 and her grandmother, Sarah Dillington 1642-1701. I think her great grandfather was Rev. John Colenut married to Joanne Mewe.

Mary Colenut
    b. April 25, 1710 @ Gatcombe
    d. March 18, 1782 @ St. Helen's
    married:
    Thomas Spragg 1708-1782

Looking forward to hearing from you again,
    Glenys

Sandra Parker

Snap. Same Abraham as mine. My ancestor was also Abraham, brother of your Mary, both children of Abraham and Elizabeth. Will send you a pm.
    Sandra

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast