Default Marks Family South Petherton Somerset

I am reseaching the family Marks who were living in South Petherton Somerset. I have got a bit stuck and I am hoping someone can help me please.
    I am loooking for infomation on William Marks who was born abt 1796 and died 1882 South Petherton he married Lydia Vile in 11 feb1816 at St Peter and St Paul South Petherton and had as far as i know 6 six children James born abt 1810,Job born abt 1819 and died Jun 1881,Mary born abt 1827 married Luke Marsh 1851.Ann born abt 1829. Joel born abt 1931 married Martha Wills abt 1855.and Jabez born 2 jan 1834 and died 29 aug 1883. all born South Petherton Somerset, the women where glove makers and the men Ag labs

I am trying to find Williams parents if any one can help me I would be greatfull.

Martina

LindaI

Martina,

Unable to find parents of your William on IGI or World Connect. There are 2 other researchers out there with him in their family trees but they are on the GenesConnected website. This is a secure contact website so unwanted contacts cannot be made and you need to be a part of it. I logged on and just did a quick check on the offchance which is how I found the researchers.
    It is possible that he was baptised in the dissenting church. Those records are separate to the St Peter/St Paul parish registers.
    Not sure from your notes if you have been through all the census data yet for William, Lydia and their family. The 1861/71/81 census indicates William's birthyear to be 1793.
    William and Lydia are same age.
    From, at least, 1841 to 1871 they were living Pitway, South Petherton.
    1841: children: James (20), Joseph (20), Mary (10), Joel (8), Jabez (6) at home.
    1851: Mary (22, Glover), Joel (19, AgLab), Jabez (16), Ann (6) at home.
    1861 and 1871: William and Lydia alone
    1881: William, widower, living Watergore, South Petherton, with son Jabez and family (wife, Phillis, and seven children).

Good Luck, Linda

Smile

Hello Linda1

Thankyou for your help.
    I have the census for the family up untill 1841 You are right about St Peter and St Paul The church seems to be the main chruch for the Marks family as they either got married or baptised there.

I used to be a member of genes but they put there prices up when it was taken over I did find it help fully and found a few other people reaseaching driffrent branches of the family tree.

Those hot matches did get to me as most of them where not very hot

Thank you again for for help

Martina

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Martina,
    I can't help you specifically with the family you mentioned but in the past couple of days I have discovered that my Marks ancestry which I thought was largely based in Ireland seem to have come from Somerset in the mid/late 1600's and I have a confirmed match to a Marks in South Petherton so would love to hear from you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Free Reg has the baptism of a William Marks, 2 July 1797, at Merriott ( 3 miles from South Petterton), son of Thomas and Sarah, but as these names not in your William's children, looks unlikely.