jeeb

Default James Wardle Marriage?

James Wardle and his wife Elizabeth had Robert 1815?, Mary 1818 & Elizabeth 1820. The two girls are baptised Ashton upon Mersey, Cheshire. (IGI) and state this as their place of birth on subsequent censuses. I have been unable a find a birth/baptism for Robert approx 1815. He states his place of birth as Sale, Cheshire on all censuses except 1861 when he too gives Ashton upon Mersey as birthplace. In 1820 James & Elizabeth Wardle move to Hayfield, Derbyshire and have a further 5 children. Both James and Elizabeth die in 1845 so I am unable to establish their birthplaces. The 1841 census gives their ages as 55 & 50 respectively which makes them born 1780's. The 1841 census also states 'no' for born in county, ie not born Derbyshire. I would be very grateful if anyone could locate the marriage for James & Elizabeth and the birth/baptism of Robert their son probably in the Cheshire/Manchester area.

Cheers, Jeremy
    Last edited by jeeb; 22-05-2007 at 7:52 AM.

uksearch

Well it seems that you man and another brother were missed off the IGI.

St Martin Aston upon Mesey Baptisms
    June 13th 1813. John son of James and Elizabeth WARDLE. Sale. Husbandman

24th Sept 1815. Robert son of James and Betty WARDLE. Sale Husbandman

John WARDLE was Buried July 20th 1817 aged 4 years.

UK

jeeb

Default Thanks UK

UK you are brilliant, thanks very much. I had deduced Robert was their son but I had no idea about John, so again many thanks. I assume you could not find a record of their marriage in the same area?

Cheers Jeremy.

uksearch

Although this was an ancient parish, there were not a great deal of events at this church in the time period you are looking at. So no there was no marriage at the church between your couple.

UK

Clive Blackaby

Hi Jeremy,

I popped into Sale Library and had a look through the B.T. s for Ashton upon Mersey, from 1808, when Betty would have been 15 to 1823, by which time the family had moved.

I found the following which mainly matches what you have, but not exactly

Baptisms:-

1811 Mar 10 Martha Base dau of Elizabeth Marsland of Sale (You've mentioned this may be Betty's maiden name)

1812 Mar 14 John Son of James and Elizabeth Wardle

(I've not seen a burial for either of the above, which is perhaps curious)

1813 Jun 13 John Son of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman

(Burial, Jul 20 1817 age 4 is probably this John)

1815 Sep 24 Robert Son of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman
    1818 May 24 Mary Dau of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman
    1820 Nov 5 Elizabeth Dau of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman

Also

1818 Apr 5 Ann Dau of Peter and Mary Wardle, Farmer
    1818 Jun 21 Elizabeth Dau of George and Mary Wardle,
    Bookeeper or maybe Bootmaker

Plenty of other Marsland baptisms as well which I can go back for if they prove relevant.

But more to the point is what I didn't find. Whilst the marriage registers appear to be present for the whole p0D

(Burial, Jul 20 1817 age 4 is probably this John)

1815 Sep 24 Robert Son of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman
    1818 May 24 Mary Dau of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman
    1820 Nov 5 Elizabeth Dau of James and Elizabeth Wardle, Husbandman

Also

1818 Apr 5 Ann Dau of Peter and Mary Wardle, Farmer
    1818 Jun 21 Elizabeth Dau of George and Mary Wardle,
    Bookeeper or maybe Bootmaker

Plenty of other Marsland baptisms as well which I can go back for if they prove relevant.

But more to the point is what I didn't find. Whilst the marriage registers appear to be present for the whole period, there are only 4 or 5 marriages per year, which compared to 100 or more baptisms per year is extremely thin. Conclusion, either folk round here didn't get married, or they got married somewhere else!! There was no parish church for Sale at the time.

The Librarians suggested that most likely would be Bowden, or possibly Stretford. I may be able to go back in the next week or so to look at those parishes, unless UK beats me to it .
    Last edited by Clive Blackaby; 10-08-2007 at 2:31 PM. Reason: Doubled up text

Clive Blackaby

Angry

Can't seem to get rid of the doubled up text in the above, sorry.

jeeb

Default Thanks

Many thanks Clive, I have sent you an e mail. Very strange what happened to the first John, he must have died very young as the second one is baptised very soon afterwards.

Jeremy

IanRhodes

Default More in hope than expectation

I am not particularly hopeful that anyone will pick this up given that the thread is ten years old, but did anyone make any progress with the marriage of James Wardle and Elizabeth Marsland? I have recently begun tracing this couple as they are my wife's gg-grandparents.