Langara

Default John F Burger - author

I am hoping that someone may be able to provide me with information concerning John Francois Burger, author of many books about Africa. I know he was born in the 1880`s and he had a brother, William, and their mother was Judith J. E. Le Roux. I am keen to discover the name of John`s father and exact dates of John`s birth and death.

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Are you sure about the date of birth? He was writing in the 1950's and on... the first book I see was published in 1957... (but what do I know?)

It might be easier to write his publisher - many times they keep short bio's of their authors.

Debbie

bumblebee

I think Horned Death was first published in 1947, but I cannot see any information about him, I agree perhaps his publisher would have records.

Bumblebee.

Mythology

"Forty Years in Africa" appears to have been published in 1960, so he was no spring chicken in 1947. Perhaps he just took up writing once he wasn't so physically active?

Langara

Sorry to confuse everyone. Totally muddled the dates. It was the Burger brother`s mother, Judith, who was born in the 1880s (1879 as I have now discovered). However I do believe that John & William were born in the very early 1900s.

John Burger was my Dad's step-father. Burger was married to my grandmother Doris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_...line_Helliwell), in 1942. My Dad and his brother went on African expeditions with them. Burger was born on 23 Aug 1895 and died in 1984. I have a signed original of Horned Death addressed to my Dad.