Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default John or Joseph Law bart.

A long shot!

I have a gr gr gr grandfather who supposedly left the family home in s w scotland ,late 1700s as he fell in love with the Irish catholic servant.They settled in Staffordshire.

His father, the said John/Joseph Law apparently was a bishop( did they have bishops in Scotland?) and lived in the Law mansion.
    Or so the story goes!!!!
    I have children for Joseph & Olive,( the son & servant girl) some of which i've traced and others i've tried but come up against brick walls.

There are heaps of Laws in staffordshire which makes me wonder if the story is true. However, Joseph (Joseph & Olive's son) and his wife Elisabeth did go to Glasgow as their 2 oldest girls were born there.I'm assuming there was some connection. Unfortunately the birth info only says glasgow (rather a big city even then)and the dates were 1833 & 1835, before the statutory records began. Joseph & Elisabeth were back in Wolverhampton c 1836 where their 1st son was born. From there they moved to leicester and raised their family. Richard, their 4th son was my gr grandad.

EVERY NOW & THEN i HAVE ANOTHER SHOT OF TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF ALL THIS. uNFORTUNATELY THE PERSON WHO RECORDED THIS INFORMATION IS DEAD SO NO WAY OF CHECKING HOW HE CAME TO HIS CONCLUSIONS.
    hOPE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP.

THANKS

MAGGIE

joette

If you go to Scotlands People you should be able to search for their Births on the OPR which are now aviable online.You have to Register & it's payto view but very reasonable.If you search Glasgow wide you do not need the Parish & if you use at least Father's name it should narrow down options.
    Good luck

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default sarah & mary law

Hi Joette

have tried Scotlands People in the past but no luck there.

Thanks