Davran

Default Birth of Maria Elizabeth Woolley - a challenge

I would be grateful for a fresh pair of eyes (not literally!) and someone with patience. Maria Elizabeth WOOLLEY (almost always known as Elizabeth) was married 26 Mar 1879 (aged 20 according to birth cert) and died 26 Jan 1932 aged 72 (death cert). HOWEVER, I can't find her birth, which should have taken place in Bilston, Staffs, despite trawling the records for 1859/60.

I'm pretty sure she was registered as Maria Elizabeth as there were two entries for the marriage - one as Elizabeth Maria and one as Maria Elizabeth. The cert gives Maria Elizabeth and she has signed as M E Woolley. The death cert gives Maria Elizabeth, but her tombstone has Elizabeth Maria! Birth places on census vary - Bilston, Bradley, Tipton, Dudley.

If someone has the time and patience to have a look for me I'd be eternally grateful before I tear any more hair out. I know it's probably staring me in the face and someone will find it straight away, but at this stage I really don't care if I look a fool!

Mutley

Hello Davran,
    On Ancestry these are the only births I can find in the time frame. Only one mention of Maria, the rest are Elizabeth. I suppose you already have these.
    I can't see anything that stares me in the face except maybe the 2 from Dudley!!!
    Elizabeth Woolley 1859 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire 6c/170
    Elizabeth Woolley 1859 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire 6c/63
    Elizabeth Woolley 1859 Jul-Aug-Sep Wolverhampton Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands 6b/470
    Elizabeth Woolley 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Stoke Upon Trent Staffordshire 6b/187
    Elizabeth Woolley 1860 Apr-May-Jun Stone Staffordshire 6b/46
    Elizabeth Woolley 1860 Apr-May-Jun Wolverhampton Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands 6b/466
    Elizabeth Woolley 1861 Jul-Aug-Sep Stourbridge Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire 6c1[65]
    Elizabeth Woolley 1862 Jan-Feb-Mar Burton Upon Trent Derbyshire, Staffordshire 6b/280
    Elizabeth Woolley 1862 Jan-Feb-Mar Lichfield Staffordshire 6b/354
    Maria Woolley 1862 Apr-May-Jun Burton Upon Trent Derbyshire, Staffordshire 6b/306

Regards Mutley

bumblebee

Could she even have been Betsy Maria Woolley, 1859, Dudley, Q2, 6c, 68

Bumblebee.

Davran

Thank you, Mutley. I'm sure I must have seen all these Elizabeths, but it is useful to have them all listed together. I think the Maria was born too late as she appeared in 1861 aged 1. I may send for the couple in Dudley, but I feel they are not right - something is definitely awry with this one.

Bumblebee - that was good thinking, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't a Betsy as she was always called Elizabeth, even on the tombstone.

Pity we can't search for them by parents' names as you can for the Scottish births. I suppose it doesn't really matter too much as I know who her parents were, but it is annoying I can't find her.

Thanks again to both of you for looking - much appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Davran
    Pity we can't search for them by parents' names as you can for the Scottish births
    You personally can't but GRO can and will do so if you ask them. It amounts to the same thing - you end up with the right birth certificate.

Davran

What exactly do you mean, Peter? Do you mean the checking options on the normal form or do you write them a letter?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Did you ever resolve this? I have an Elizabeth Woolley on my tree (b 1859 in Dudley) married to John Spencer in 1878. Her parents were Alfred Jenks Woolley & Ann (nee Middleton). I do not have an official birth certificate for Elizabeth and my records never indicate a middle name. I could not find any more information on her beyond the 1901 census. I also do not have any verified death information.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Winesfine24 View Post
    Did you ever resolve this? I have an Elizabeth Woolley on my tree (b 1859 in Dudley) married to John Spencer in 1878. Her parents were Alfred Jenks Woolley & Ann (nee Middleton). I do not have an official birth certificate for Elizabeth and my records never indicate a middle name. I could not find any more information on her beyond the 1901 census. I also do not have any verified death information.
    Your Elizabeth is not the same one as the one in original question as there is a 20 year age difference between them. However, I can give you the birth index references for your Elizabeth as things have moved since the original question was written in 2007, and perhaps since you last looked. The General Register Office (GRO) has released indexes that now include the mother's maiden name.

1859 Dudley district, M quarter, volume 6c, page 170.

You can search the indexes for FREE and place an order with the GRO at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...cates/menu.asp