grace bc

Question Long Melford - Ambrose family

I'm researching the Ambroses in Long Melford - anyone with any connections to this branch of the family? There are several different families of Ambroses on the censuses - my mum in law says that in the 1950s every other shop was an Ambrose - unfortunately our side were "ag labrs" rather than shop owners!
    Beginning with WILLIAM JAMES Ambrose, BORN 1852,who maried SARAH ELIZABETH IVES in 1875, they had 8 children, his mother was ELLEN AMBROSE - if his birth cert. is correct she wasn't married and never a man friend of appropiate age on the censues. Looking back through the censuses -
    1841 has her with JOHN AMBROSE AGED 60,his wife MARY aged 60, and four siblings.
    1851 has her a lodger, proffession - shoe binder with JOHN SHORE/SHAVE(sp.?) aged 74 a grinage pensioner (unreadable on census), his wife MARY SHORE aged 66
    1861 has her still with MARY SHORE (no Mr. Shore)3 children MATILDA aged 12, WILLIAM aged 9 and MARIA aged 1. Matilda is a velvet cutter.
    1871 sees her still unmarried,proffession - a horse hair weaver with her son WILLIAM aged 19 who's the one married to the Sarah Ives mentioned at the beg. of this tale.
    Anyone know what velvet cutters, horse hair weavers or shoe binders did - apart from the obvious ?
    Any info on L.Melford around the 1800s would be appreciated.
    Thanks Grace

bumblebee

Horse Hair Weaving

https://www.johnboydtextiles.co.uk/history.html

Bumblebee x

grace bc

Quick work! Thanks for the info - regards Grace

ladyalex

Default Long Melford - AMBROSE family

Hello Grace
    I also have an AMBROSE family in Long Melford but, unfortunately I can't see a connection to yours.
    My earliest is Hiram AMBROSE (Cordwainer/Shoemaker) b.c.1804 married to Mary Ann BEAR in 1825, I believe his parents may have been John and Susan AMBROSE but have no proof.

I should imagine a 'Shoe Binder' was simply a part of the process of shoe-making, likely adding the bindings to the leatherwork of the shoe.
    Also a Velvet cutter possibly working in a Mill cutting out the silk velvet.
    Regards,
    Sandra

grace bc

Thanks, Ladyalex
    Sorry for taking so long to look at your post.
    The Ambrose family seems to be one of many parts, I'm sure they'd all connect up if we went back far enough!
    You may have already come across a book called "Melford Memories" by Ernest Ambrose no connection to my lot but very evocative about the village his life in Long Melford from 1880s to 1970s. I picked my copy up at a second hand book shop.
    Regards Grace

Mythology

You probably know this one, but in case not...cosford-database.

Despite the "Cosford" name, not restricted to Cosford registration district, also has a chunk for some places in Sudbury registration district if you scroll down - including Long Melford, with a fair number of Ambrose entries.

As always, verification with the parish registers is strongly advised. *Most* of Ray Long's stuff is straight from the registers, with nothing worse than the odd typo which we are all prone to, but he does also include a certain amount of submitted information, and there is also a certain amount of "right name, right place, must be the same fellow" assumption. I don't know what the situation is with Long Melford, but some of the Lawshall info is definitely duff.

grace bc

Smile ambrose long melford

Thanks Mythology you
    I didn't know about the cosford website and found two of my rellies on there so I've emailed for more info.
    thanks again, Grace

ladyalex

Smile Long Melford - Ambrose family

Quote Originally Posted by grace bc View Post
    Thanks, Ladyalex
    Sorry for taking so long to look at your post.
    The Ambrose family seems to be one of many parts, I'm sure they'd all connect up if we went back far enough!
    You may have already come across a book called "Melford Memories" by Ernest Ambrose no connection to my lot but very evocative about the village his life in Long Melford from 1880s to 1970s. I picked my copy up at a second hand book shop.
    Regards Grace
    Hi Grace
    Now it is my turn, I am back to working on my f.h. again now.
    Yes, thanks, I bought this brilliant book myself years ago from a s.h. dealer, unfortunately they do not appear to be connected to my Hiram AMBROSE's line.
    If in future you find any connection to or by a miracle came across his birthplace please let me know !
    Regards
    Sandra / ladyalex

Clifjade

Another useful website for that part of Suffolk is the Glemsford website run by Steve Clarke. I find it a little confusng but there is info in there !.
    - Clifjade

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default MARIE AMBROSE

HI, I believe you were looking for the Ambrose's (Long Melford) the were travelling farmhands, I think Ellen is my grandfathers sister, you may have trouble as there were 16 of them altogether. They stayed a while in Chelsworth, David and Maria ended up in Chelmsford with some of the family. I will try and put as much as I can on here. I have only just come across this site so am hoping that the 14 years isnt too late.
    The Life Summary of Ellen Esther
    When Ellen Esther Ambrose was born on 5 June 1900, in Willisham, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom, her father, David Ambrose, was 27 and her mother, Maria Harvey, was 24. She married Henry J Everett in 1923, in Chelmsford, Essex, England, United Kingdom. They were the parents of at least 1 daughter. She lived in Great Bricett, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom in 1901 and Newton, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom in 1911. She died in 1982, in Slough, Buckinghamshire, England, United Kingdom, at the age of 82. My Great grandfather is David and Grandmother is Maria. David Ambrose
    Male
    1873–1959

Male

Maria Harvey
    Female
    1876–1963

Female

Siblings
    (15)

Robert Walter Ambrose
    Male
    1894–Deceased

Male

Hettie Selina Ambrose
    Female
    1896–1987

Female

Walter George Ambrose
    Male
    1897–1988

Male

David Ambrose
    Male
    1899–1981

Male

Ellen Esther Ambrose
    Female
    1900–1982

Female

Frank Ambrose
    Male
    1902–1988

Male

Harry Arthur Ambrose
    Male
    1903–Deceased

Male

Mr Leonard Newton Ambrose
    Male
    1905–1975

Male

Florence Ethel Ambrose
    Female
    1906–1940

Female

Percy Leslie Ambrose
    Male
    1908–1909

Male

Percy L Ambrose
    Male
    1909–Deceased

Male

Stanley F Ambrose
    Male
    1912–1913

Male

Violet W Ambrose
    Female
    1913–Deceased

Female

Jack Robert Ambrose
    Male
    1916–2001

Male

Grace P Ambrose
    Female
    1919–Deceased

Female So GGF David and GGM Maria ended up living in Great Baddow, Chelmsford at the house of the farmer that David GGF and David my GF worked for, with the surname of Carter. David GGF is mentioned in a book called the history of Great Baddow. There were some bad floods in 1953 and he was floating down Great Baddow high street on his bed. He never fully recovered from the shook and I think he passed away in 1954. Im not sure of the story of Ellen ending up in Bucks. But the rest of us scattered around in Suffolk and Great Baddow. So David Junior was my Grandfather and he married Edith Matilda Kent. They had 3 sons. Douglas, Henry and Robert. Robert the youngest was my father, who passed 2 years ago. I have a picture of Great Grandfather David. I recently found that I was related to someone I used to live opposite and our sons used to play together as children. We only found we shared the same Great Grandparents a few months ago. Her name is Gaynor and her Dad is Michael Wrenn, who's mother was Dorothy Ambrose, who passed away just a few months ago being the only surviving sister. I hope this helps. If you need to contact me I can be found on fb with my married name of Mowling