Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    birdlip

Default Where did Charles Bolwell go?

Charles Bolwell seems to have just disappeared. He was born in Salisbury in 1839, parents James and Mary. He appears with them in the 1851 census, age 12, then vanishes.

I can't find a death or a marriage for him, and can't find him living elsewhere in any later censuses. Any suggestions?

Birdlip

busyglen

Could he have been one of the `unknown' dead which appear all around the country at some time or another, thus not recorded? Or, went abroad? Or, even changed his name?

Not much help, and I hope something turns up for you, but these are always possibilities to be considered.

**Edit.

Sorry, just realised you are abroad, so could he have already made his way across the sea?

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 16-03-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Addition.

birdlip

Thanks for that Glenys.

Perhaps he did emigrate, though not to Australia as far as I can see. The nineteenth century occurrences here of the Bolwell name, seem to be all from Bath...not my Salisbury lot, and no Charles's amongst them.

None of his siblings or cousins appear to have emigrated, but I guess that doesn't prove anything. I've searched for him on Ancestry, thinking that he might show up in Canada or America, but drew a blank.

I've also tried all the wonderful spelling variations i've come across so far..Bowell, Ballwell, Baldwell etc. If he completely changed his name, for whatever reason, then I'll have to admit defeat, and I suppose he could be one of the unknown dead, as you suggest.

Can anyone think of anywhere else I could try?

Birdlip

busyglen

Hi again Birdlip,

I have just had a quick scan of my 1881 disks as I don't have access to Ancestry, and came across the following:

Salisbury, Wiltshire

RG11, Piece 2071, Folio 97, Page 12.

Joseph Smith 57
    Elizabeth Smith 59
    Frederick Smith 13
    Charles Bolwell, 42, U, b. Salisbury, Wilts. shown as brother, possibly of Elizabeth. Do you know if he had any siblings from the early sighting?

Could this possibly be your Robert, who perhaps had two names, or changed his name to Charles? The place of birth and year are correct.

Also, have you tried under Boswell? sometimes an `l' can look like an `s'.
    Just a thought.

Glenys

birdlip

OK, well I'm a bit confused here. Was that a typo Glenys?

!n 1881, I Have ROBERT Bolwell, living with his sister Elizabeth Smith, nee Bolwell. He is certainly born in Salisbury in the same year as Charles, but Robert and Elizabeth are Charles's first cousins.

I hadn't thought of looking for Boswell though, so thanks for that.

Birdlip

busyglen

So sorry Birdlip! Yes it was a typo on my part....I was doing it in a hurry before I went out, and copied Charles by mistake from my notes. Of course it should have been Robert, which is the one you have.

Hope you have some luck soon.

Glenys

birdlip

Well, would you believe it? I think I may have found him...on Malta at the Floriana Cemeteries;

Charles BOLWELL Private, 4th Battalion, Rifle Brigade aged 20, buried 31st March 1859 by Rev Henry Hare CF

The age is exactly right and the 4th Battalion was apparently raised in 1857 at Winchester, an easy ride from Salisbury. Looking at the Malta family History website and other sources, it's likely he died of fever, probably cholera, poor thing. Hopefully the Muster Books/ Pay lists at Kew may hold a clue re his place of birth, it would be nice to be 100% sure.

Good old Google!

busyglen

That's good news Birdlip, hope you can get to clarify it.

Glenys

birdlip

Thanks Glenys.

sueannbowen

According to my OH there was a British Military garrison on Malta at that time and a large naval dockyard. One additional thing, militia did not carry out overseas duties so he would have been a regular. So if he had been a member of a militia he could have transferred to the regular army subsequently. Not sure if that is any use at all but might steer you a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast