floramaggie

Arrow 1861 census lookup please

I am lookinf for the following people in Cupar 1861 if anyone can help please.
    Clementina ireland b Cupar 1824, Thomas Ireland b cupar 1822, isobel ireland b cupar 1827 and jean ireland 1831.[all siblings] ALso James Ireland b Cupar 1848, Robert Morrison b cupar 1849 and Willaim Foraker 1850 Cupar. The last 3 are related to the irelands but not sure how they fit. I would be very grateful. Flora

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by floramaggie
    I am lookinf for the following people in Cupar 1861 if anyone can help please.
    Clementina ireland b Cupar 1824, Thomas Ireland b cupar 1822, isobel ireland b cupar 1827 and jean ireland 1831.[all siblings] ALso James Ireland b Cupar 1848, Robert Morrison b cupar 1849 and Willaim Foraker 1850 Cupar. The last 3 are related to the irelands but not sure how they fit. I would be very grateful. Flora
    Took a quick look on Ancestry - of the 3 Clementinas born in Cupar, Fife listed in the 1861 Scotland census, only one - Clementina Harris - might be yours. She is a seaman's wife, living in Dundee, Angus with Robert and Isabella Harris - aged 12 and 2 - and James Ireland, age 13.

The other names are too common to check in this way, and I suggest you check ScotlandsPeople.com to find marriages and download pictures of the census results. It is a fee-based site, not a subscription site like Ancestry, so probably better for you to search on your own, as you know better what you're looking for. But for marriages after 1855, there is extensive information on the records - much more than the pre-1855 records, which are also online at that site.

Hope this helps,

Debbie
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 5:59 PM.

There is also a Jean Cargill, age 28, born Cupar, wife of John and with 2 children - John, Jr. and William, ages 7 and 3 - living next to Clementina Harris in Dundee. It's possible this may be Jean Ireland, but you'd have to check for a marriage certificate to be sure.

Debbie

Also: on the 1851 census, James Ireland, age 3, William Foraker, 2, and Robert Morrison, 1, are listed as the sons of Jean Ireland, and the grandsons of James, Sr. according to Ancestry

Debbie
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 6:18 PM.

floramaggie

Thanks Debbie. Jean sure got around. It is her that is confusing me. Cheers Flora

Well, it's possible she had James out-of-wedlock, but was married for the other 2 and both husbands died. If I were you, I'd try to find death certificates for them on ScotlandsPeople - it should list both parents if the deaths were after 1855. Also try to find Jean's death - it should list all of her husbands. That's the great thing about Scots records - much more information is on them from 1855! If Jean Cargill is Jean Ireland, and the oldest child was 7 in 1861, it's likely that marriage would be in the older parish records - say around 1852-3. Before looking for her death, you might want to see if there were any other marriages - it will aid in finding her death if you know what names it might be found under. And in looking for her Cargill marriage, remember it may be under a previous husband's last name...

Debbie