Sandra Parker

Default Coast Guard Stations

I'm looking for any information about the following Coast guard Stations where my GGrandfather, George Henry Barton, was stationed, 1870's-1900's .
    They are:
    Kessingland in Suffolk and Reculvers and Herne Bay in Kent. He was Chief Officer at the latter.
    As he lived at all three stations, with his wife and children, there must have been Coast Guard accomodation on the sites. I have located the sites themselves on old maps, but have no idea of what they looked like.
    Hoping there may be old photos or drawings out there somewhere,
    Thanks
    Sandra

busyglen

Hi Sandra

I don't think you are going to be in luck....I've searched a bit and Reculver Coastguard Cotts. were demolished in late 1960's to make way for new sea defences.

Couldn't find any pictures for Kessingland, but you might like to look at this site for a little information:

https://www.thelocalchannel.co.uk/Tlc...me=Kessingland

I haven't looked at Herne Bay, but think that it's likely they have gone as well.
    I searched by looking for `Kessingland Coastguards' `Reculver Coastguards' etc. There are quite a few mentions with some information that may be of help, but haven't found any photos in amongst those that I have searched.

Glenys

Here's an atmospheric old photo of the beach and reculvers at Herne Bay:
    www.heimatsammlung.de/.../england/england_02.htm

and some vintage photos of the Kessingland coast which you may not have seen:
    francisfrith.co.uk/.../kessingland.htm

Not quite what you wanted but good for general atmosphere.

Daleaway

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

This might help.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/

Christine

edit: I see you already know about it.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 15-02-2007 at 1:49 AM.

Sandra Parker

Thanks you Glenys, there was a bit of info and as I had none previously it has increased my knowledge by a huge margin!

Daleway, you sure have found an interesting site, and again the photo is about the time I my GGrandad would have been on that beach.

Christine, thanks anyway, it doesn't hurt to be reminded of sites as often there has been an update, or a new link, that you are not aware of.

A bit more to add to the family background, so thanks again to you all.

Sorry for the delay, but have had trouble getting to B-G on line, and when the error message says that an email has been sent on my behalf to tech support, I feel as though I've inadvertantly added to the clutter and access difficulties.
    Sandra

busyglen

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker
    Thanks you Glenys, there was a bit of info and as I had none previously it has increased my knowledge by a huge margin!

Sorry for the delay, but have had trouble getting to B-G on line, and when the error message says that an email has been sent on my behalf to tech support, I feel as though I've inadvertantly added to the clutter and access difficulties.
    Sandra
    Don't worry about it Sandra, unfortunately we are all in the same boat, as we don't know the forum is down until that message comes up. The trouble is every time I check back to see if it is operating again, of course another email is sent!! Viscious circle isn't it?

Glenys

markt

Default Photos of coastguard stations

Hi Sandra,
    Sorry, I've only just found this thread. It's quite a while since it started. I have some photos that you may find interesting. I live just up the road from Herne Bay and Reculver in another old Coastguard station at Seasalter. If you would like to see them if you email me I'll send them. mark(AT)mtakacs.freeserve.co.uk
    Alternatively, can someone tell me how I can attach them to a reply?
    In this part of the coast there seem to have been two types of coastguard cottages. The newer ones and those in the larger villages appear to be built on the lines of the ones at Birling Gap in Sussex, with a row of actual houses. There are more in Broadstairs, Whitstable and Margate.
    The older ones, like Seasalter, Reculver and Bishopstone seem to have had two main houses. The larger one was a block house containing four flats for the officers and their families. The smaller was a proper cottage. These seem to have all contained 8 rooms, each of which would have housed a coastguardsman and his family. I have an old photo of the one at Bishopstone (also in Herne Bay) which is a dead-ringer for ours. Also a photo of Reculver from the towers, which looks to be based on the same pattern, although only the smaller one is shown.
    I'm sure Herne Bay, which is quite a large town, would have had the terraced houses like Birling, while Reculver had the block-house / bungalow set because it is a small village.
    I have some photos if someone can tell me how to attach them. Otherwise I can email them if anyone is interested.
    I also have a photo of a man who lived in our house about 120 years ago. I will try to find it so I can attach that as well. He was an officer who lived here, so would be wearing the same type of uniform your g grandfather wore. I hope you get this, I know it's been a while but if you're still looking please get in touch.
    Mark

Sandra Parker

Thanks very much Mark. I received pics and info. I'm looking forward to the uniform pic if you can find it (I have stuff like that, merely needs locating - but where?)
    Sandra

Bromley

Hi Mark
    Just found your info and joined BG.
    I'd be very interested in having a copy of the photo of the man living in your house all those years ago as my Gt G'father lived there in 1881 according to the census for that year.
    Incidentally, I was photographing your house (if you're still living in the Seasalter coastguard cottage) last Saturday on my way back home after spending a few days ancestor hunting in Ramsgate!!
    Hoping you receive this and thanking you in anticipation
    Kay