Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dcwilkes

Default Slatter/Butler/Gibbs/Gardner Of Oxford

I have an extensive data base of my own ancestry dating back to the 1690's, however I have drawn blanks in one or two areas.

Information is needed about Sarah Elizabeth Gardner born 1857 and her father named James. Sarah's address prior to her wedding was Charles Street, Jeffrey Road Oxford. She married William Henry Gibbs Butler in 1881. She is a real mystery girl and my Great Grandmother.

Also needed is information about Elizabeth Gibbs (my Great Great Grandmother) daughter of John Gibbs and Alice. Elizabeth was born 1824 and married William Henry Butler around 1855. Any information about her and especially her parents would be most helpfull.

If you have Oxford ancestors and any of my names ring bells then I may have information that might help.
    Last edited by dcwilkes; 03-02-2007 at 3:13 AM.

Hi
    there is a Sarah Elizabeth Gardner born Shoreditch on the 1861 RG 9/243 census with her mother Sarah, a widow, aged 50 born Hastings. Son James aged 12 born Shoreditch. Son Charles aged 9 born Shoreditch.

Back to 1851 census HO107/1538 address 23 Maidstone Place Shoreditch Hagerstone
    James Gardner aged 49 Stonemason born Dersley Gloucestershire
    Sarah wife aged 40 Ironer?
    Charlotte dau aged 16 collar maker b Hastings Shoreditch
    Emma dau aged 11 b Hastings
    Ellen dau aged 9 Hastings
    Thomas son aged 7 Bethnall Green Middlesex
    James son aged 2 Shoreditch
    Do these sound like yours?
    Christina
    Last edited by christanel; 01-02-2007 at 4:43 AM.

dcwilkes

Default Hi Christina

I don't know if your reply will help but it is certainly more than I have found. Sarah Elizabeth Gardner is my mysterious Great Grandmother and ANY information is welcome. the only clue I have is her Marraige certificate dated 1881 wherein she gives her birth as 1857 plus an address in Oxford. The year 1857 seems firm so your details from the 1851 census may be of use if the family went on to have another daughter in 1857. I will keep the details just in case.

My longest line of descent is through the Butler line joining the Slatter line in 1770 and from there it runs back to 1690. But I can't get mysterious Sarah out of my mind.

Thank you.

PS: I can't imagine why I have Brackley in the back of my mind, maybe it is the remnant of a long forgotten childhood memory.
    Last edited by dcwilkes; 03-02-2007 at 3:16 AM.

dcwilkes

Default Gibbs

Hi Christina

I think I have found something exciting. Firstly I now believe Elizabeth Gibbs was born in Oxford from a father named John Gibbs and mother Alice. I have not found Alice's MAIDEN which is important. However, I have found a John Gibbs who married Alice Scott in Buckinghamshire. All the dates fit very nicely. I now need the OCCUPATION of the Buckinghamshire John Gibbs to confirm they are one in the same.

Buckinghamshire: John Gibbs 1801 - 1861. This John and Alice had two sons in Buckinghamshire (John Jnr and William born prior to 1824.

My John Gibbs had a daughter in Oxford born 1824.

It is possible they moved to Oxford and had a daughter Elizabeth.

I haven't a clue how to find the occupation of the Buckinghamshire John Gibbs but if this proves to be good then I can go back to 1605.

Don
    Last edited by dcwilkes; 06-02-2007 at 2:13 PM. Reason: Spelling error

cheryla

Default Slatter ancestors

I've traced Slatters in my family and wondered if they are the same family as yours.
    I've traced Francis Slatter (c1770) and his daughters Sarah (c1802 who married my ggg grandfather Joseph Matthews), and Mary (c1811).
    Francis Slatter worked as a boatman.
    I'd be really grateful if you're able to give me any information about the family.
    Cheryl

dcwilkes

Default Slatter

The only Sarah Slatter I have is a daughter to John Slatter. My Sarah was born 1776-1811. Sarah married ? Langsford. ?=unknown Christian name.
    Any more questions - please ask. Don

cheryla

Thanks for checking Don. It was worth a try!
    Cheryl

Pennie

Default Slatter/Butler/Gibbs/Gardner Of Oxford

Hi Don ...

A little help with your GIBBS line.

I found the following marriage on the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837):

04 JUL 1823 - John GIBBS (Oxford St. Clement) to Alice WILKINS at Oxford St. Aldate

There are no other John GIBBS/Alice marriages after this one (up to 1837) and the next previous one is in the 1760s!

On the 1851 census, I've found a John GIBBS (born c1800 at Shutford, Oxon.) living in Oxford St. Giles with wife Alice (50), and daughters Elizabeth (26) and Caroline Louisa (12). John 's occupation is given as "Statuary and Mason".

Does this help at all?

Pennie

Pennie

Hi (again) ...

Just a thought re. Elizabeth GIBBS's baptism. The OFHS have an Oxford City Baptisms Index (1800-1837) - they will do a look up for you (small fee).

Pennie
    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2007 at 9:02 PM.

Pennie

And again ... (I do like a challenge!)

I had a look on the 1891 census for a Sarah BUTLER, born 1856 (+/- 2 years) and married to a William. There were four possibles:

Born c1856 in Disley, Cheshire
    Born c1856 in Cradley, Staffs.
    Born c1856 in Birmingham
    Born c1858 in Bethnal Green, London

The Birmingham one looks interesting, as Sarah and William were married there.

I'm now trying to find a Sarah GARDNER with a father James on a previous census with a matching place of birth to any of the four above. To help narrow it down, could you please post James's occupation as shown on the marriage certificate.

Thanks.

Pennie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast