Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GeoffD

There is one other "hit" for Prothesia Beckerleg in a google search. At the A place. Parents Richard BECKELEG and Jane NORTHCOTT.

There is also a book about the Beckerleg family. The Beckerleg Name in History.

I'll do some more searching once I get back to my regular computer and internet connection.

GeoffD

Oh - interesting. I have Devonshire NORTHCOTT names, and this lot was from Lamerton. Something else to follow up!

Robyn Beckerleg

Default More Beckerleg info

Nothing like playing around on Google and finding this information. I'm Robyn Beckerleg and my grandfather (ex Penzance) was the Barzillai Beckerleg (LLB Auckland) mentioned above. He jumped ship aged 16 I think and headed over here to New Zealand. Named his son Barzillia as well! Great info and has got me interested into looking into all this.

Robyn Beckerleg

Barzillia, my father, was Barzillia Sturges. You can imagine telling kids that at school when you were young. And the M.... Beckerleg is my brother. He has a twin, P..... The lawyer is my uncle (Barzillia's brother) J.... W..... I know in the brief look I've had into the family history Grace Tonkin fits in there somewhere too.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 02-09-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: removed details of possibly living persons

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Robyn, and welcome to Brit-Gen

I've adjusted your post slightly, as we're not allowed to give details of living people on the open forum. Please read our Acceptable User Policy.

Hopefully the other contributors to this thread will be alerted to your posts and will reply either on the thread or by private message.

Graham Wilson

Default Barzillai - more background

Hi - just to let you have some more info on my relation Barzillai Beckerleg

He was born in 1848 and died after his boat Lanisley was lost at sea off Ilfracombe in 1895. (All hands were lost and I have a photo of the Lanisley and a newspaper article on the accidnet in front of me)
    He was married to Theodora Strick and had 10 children, one of whom was my grandmother Mary.
    I have Barzillai's sea chest in the house - a pine chest with 'BB' studs in the lid and some of his son William's certificates of seamanship here
    Hope that's of interest

Graham Wilson

Default Barzillai (2)

The origin is Nehemiah, Ch 7 verse 63
    63And of the priests: the children of Hobaiah, the children of Hakkoz, the children of Barzillai, who took a wife of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite, and was called after their name.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
    A chance meeting with a member of the other Drew family in my local area sent me off looking at Drew names in Kent. There, I found a couple of my strays - Francis Drew (born Penzance) and his wife and first cousin once removed, Louisa Drew (born Surrey). After chasing their offspring through the census and FreeBMD, I thought I'd look further into the matter of Francis's sister, Mary and her husband, the sea captain William Beckerleg.

This led me into the magical world of the Beckerleg family of Newlyn-Paul-Madron-Penzance and names like Barzillai. And there's not just one Barzillai - he had a son, Barzillai and a father Barzillai, and there's another Barzillai who was a baker in Madron. Google found me Barzillai Beckerleg Bennetts known as Barrie, a rugby player of some note. Who knows, there might still be a Barzillai Beckerleg down that way somewhere?

I don't really have a question about this matter, apart possibly from asking about the origins of 'Barzillai' and the family name Beckerleg. Really, I just wanted to share with you all my enchantment of finding such a wonderful (and fanciful) name.

Of course, if there are any descendants of Barzillai Beckerleg and Grace Tonkin who would like to know more about the Mary Drew that married William Beckerleg, I would enjoy hearing from you.

PS I've just found a Barzillai Beckerleg graduating from Auckland University as a LL. B. in 1923.

Robyn Beckerleg

Default Barzillia Beckerleg and Grace Tonkin

This is a message for GeoffD ... now that I have started getting into researching this I have discovered that the Barzillia Beckerleg, the one who married Grace Tonkin is my great great grandfather .. . So we are related somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Wilson View Post
    Hi - just to let you have some more info on my relation Barzillai Beckerleg

He was born in 1848 and died after his boat Lanisley was lost at sea off Ilfracombe in 1895. (All hands were lost and I have a photo of the Lanisley and a newspaper article on the accidnet in front of me)
    He was married to Theodora Strick and had 10 children, one of whom was my grandmother Mary.
    I have Barzillai's sea chest in the house - a pine chest with 'BB' studs in the lid and some of his son William's certificates of seamanship here
    Hope that's of interest
    Hello Graham

I have just come across this post of yours from several years ago. My maiden name was Strick and Theodora was my second great aunt. (Her father, Thomas Strick was my gg grandfather.) I think that makes us 3rd cousins.

I have long known the story of Barzillai drowning off ilfracombe, but my family legend has it that Barzillai’s son was rescued and learnt the day afterwards that his father had been left to drown by the xenophobic rescuers who, on hearing his name, and took him for a foreigner. Perhaps this is a fabrication (no story loses in the telling) but it would be interesting to know if your family has a similar legend.

Best wishes

Catherine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12