Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ed Bradford

Default I'm ordering the certificate part 2

Also, they seem to marry someone that lives in the neighborhood so moving closer to the Limehouse area where James T. Sharp is from makes sense. It appears that Jessie was 16 years old when she married. Claiming that she was two years older on the 1891 census seems to indicate that she may have lied about her age when she married. I would imagine that it was a little easier to get married at 18 rather than 16. I know that all of my evidence is circumstantial; however, the preponderance is swaying me to open my dusty wallet and put up the money to purchase the certificate. It will be a few weeks before it arrives. I’ll let you all know what’s on it when it gets here. Thanks for all of your help.

……………………Ed

jeeb

Default Age of marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford
    It appears that Jessie was 16 years old when she married. Claiming that she was two years older on the 1891 census seems to indicate that she may have lied about her age when she married. I would imagine that it was a little easier to get married at 18 rather than 16. ……………………Ed[/font][/size]
    Hi Ed,
    It was quite legal to marry at 14 in 1886 with consent of parents. As Jesse's parents were already dead I am not sure who would have given the consent, an older brother maybe?

Jeremy

Ed Bradford

Jeremy, thanks for the info about getting married with a guardian's consent. It was probably my great grandfather John Bradford (her older brother) who she went to live with after her mother died. Hopefully the certificate that I have ordered will answer the questions that arise. I sould have it by late February.
    ...............Ed

Ed Bradford

Thumbs down From Jessie's marriage certificate

The marriage certificate has arrived. It’s difficult to read, however, it doesn’t seem to be my Jessie. From what I can make out James Sharp a 22 year old bachelor and Jessie Bradford a 21 year old spinster were married on May 30, 1886 in the County of Middlesex. It looks like they both were residing at 7 Copenhagen Place at the time of the marriage. His father is James Sharp and her father is John Bradford. They both signed with their mark. I was expecting her age to be 16 and her father to be Thomas Bradford. Oh well.
    ................Ed

Mutley

Oh Ed, was so hoping this one was right, but sounds like it could be the Enfield Jessie. Can you read the father's occupation. Might give a further clue.

Ed Bradford

According to several census records, Jessie's father Thomas Bradford is a poulterer. On the marriage certificate I just received, Jessie's father John Bradford is some kind of a maker. I can't make out what kind. If the John Bradford that's listed is actually Jessie's brother then he should be a printer.

The members of this family group seem to stay near each other. When they move to another locale they seem to move as a group. It wasn't until after WWI that they seem to scatter. I expect to find Jessie in the St. George in the East area. It is possible that she has taken up with someone without the formal marriage certificate and has just changed her name. In that case I may never find her.

..............Ed

Hello Ed
    I am still reading about your efforts with Jesse but having just moved back to Oz I can't spend the time I would like on helping you. I can tell you that when I got a marriage certificate I couldn't read I emailed the GRO and explained my problem, giving them all the details of the certificate , and they very kindly looked up the certificate and told me what I wanted to know. And they were quick about it!
    Good luck
    Christina

Ed Bradford

There's no need to waist everyone's time. I can make out enough of the certificate to know that they are not part of my line. ................Ed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234