Default Muster Rolls and TNA documents

I have just discovered some information in my Dad's papers. He has written
    "We first find Benjamin GIBBON enlisting in the Royal Pembrokeshire Militia in 1807. Muster Roll records Kew, PRO Nos W.O. 1729-521 (North Devon) W.O. 1325-1. "

What I want to know is how can I look at those documents without a trip to Kew.
    Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis
    I have just discovered some information in my Dad's papers. He has written
    "We first find Benjamin GIBBON enlisting in the Royal Pembrokeshire Militia in 1807. Muster Roll records Kew, PRO Nos W.O. 1729-521 (North Devon) W.O. 1325-1. "
    What I want to know is how can I look at those documents without a trip to Kew.
    Ann
    If you have the full class/piece reference number you should be able to order the document online from TNA - depending on the size of the document and difficult in copying it, this can be costly - Muster rolls are large documents!

The reference numbers you quote do not look complete to me.

The supplementary muster rolls of the militia from 1798 to 1816 are in class WO13 (if your reference is definitely for a muster roll, this should be the class number), The attestation papers are in class WO96, The militia records in WO68 include enrolment books, pay lists, etc and entry books are in WO51.

Just in case you aren't familiar with the way that TNA organizes documents, they have a class and piece number.

The class number consists of letters and numbers. The letters indicate the department that collated or held the records (e.g. WO - War Office, ADM - Admiralty, HO - Home Office, E- Exchequer).

The number next to the letters is the number given to a group of documents that are the same type or series (e.g. WO96 - War Office and 96 refers to Militia Attestation Papers). Within each class, documents are then split into smaller groups and this is the piece number.

I may be wrong - but - What you quote looks to me like the first part of the class reference (missing the number part) followed by the piece number.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 14-11-2004 at 5:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Geoffers, I won't be making the trip anytime soon, I don't travel well. My daughter has a brother-in-law who lives near Kew so I can try and get him to go there for me. Thanks for your time
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time