MARION/P

Question Gamble; Ireland to Scotland

Can some kind soul help me find my 'Gamble' ? James Gamble born c1821 gave his birthplace as Glasgow. Fathers name given on marriage certificate as James also, the younger married in Hull in 1846. Can find no trace of either before that date. Thanks for giving time to my request, I really have hit a wall with this one.

Regards Marion
    Last edited by MARION/P; 12-12-2006 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Duplicated post in error could not delete.Sorry.

Wirral

What were the occupations of the 2 James Gambles? Where did the younger marry & to whom?

There is a Jas. Gamble 21, a private in the Royal Horse Guards at Hyde Park Barracks in London in the 1841 census.

MARION/P

Smile James Gamble

Hi Wirral, James [jnr] born c1822, married a Jane Wilkinson on 5th feb 1846 in Sculcoates, Hull. His occupation is given as labourer, residing in Drypool.
    His fathers named as James and his occupation labourer also. On the 1851 census his occupation is dock labourer, living Garden Place, Drypool, Hull on this census and others he gives his birthplace as Scotland and Glasgow. Thanks for reading my post, it may be him 5yrs before his marriage ? where his father could be. Regards Marion

Sunpat

I hope you've been having success with your research.
    I have a friend whose husband is a GAMBLE, living in Scotland, and he has gone into his Irish family history in great detail.
    May I pass on your posted information and ask him if your Gamble family could be linked?
    Sunpat

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Marion, the 1841 England census shows a 21-yr-old James Gamble, born Scotland, occupation Private stationed at Hyde Park Barracks in Middlesex.

Source Citation (from Ancestry.com): Class: HO107; Piece 738; Book: 19; Civil Parish: St Margaret; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: Hyde Park Barracks; Folio: 6; Page: 6; Line: 11.

Perhaps you could find more details from his service record...
    Last edited by Jan1954; 13-08-2008 at 4:33 PM. Reason: GSU reference removed as it is copyright

I also have info on a Gamble from Ireland. I can send you his information if you would like.

Benrayburn, It is very kind of you to offer your help, but Marion/P has not been on-forum since May 2007. If they are using the same email address that they registered with when they joined, they should get an email telling them that you have replied, and may reply - you never know.