Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rasmusseneric

Question A town in Radnorshire sounding like "Trinadad"

My wife has an ancestor, William Evans who 'married' Elizabeth Jelly in 1845±.

He died in Queensland, Australia, in april 1870 aged 50.

A transcribed copy of his Death Certificate states he married in "Trinidad"

His 19 year old son gave the details. Keeping in mind a Welsh accent, and ink and writing, is there a place in Radnorshire that could sound like "Trinadad"?

busyglen

The only place I can find beginning with `T' in Radnorshire is Trefyclawdd which is `Knighton'. I did a search on Genuki as they list most of the places.

I'm not sure whether this could sound like Trinadad (Trinidad) though.

Glenys

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Closest that I could see was "Swydd & Craig". I jotted it down last night, and now I cannot remember how I came up with it! I think I looked at placenames in Genuki's registration districts.

Christine

Frank W

1907 Railway Gazetteer includes "Tre'r Radnor" and "Trelegoed". Radnorshire place names seem to be few and far between.

From Google search for Radnorshire, a list of Radnorshire Churches in a survey does not show any names which could be coerced to sound like Trinidad.

Likewise there are no clues in the Parish Locator program
    for Radnorshire.

There is apparently a Radnor in Tasmania, Australia.

Wonder if the marriage was actually in Trinidad during a sea voyage? Are there any more details from Marriage certificate or BMD registrations?

Regards........Frank W

rasmusseneric

Thanks 'busyglen', ChristineR and Frank W
    William Evans was a coach maker. I am in contact with another OZ relation of one of William's children. Neither of us can find a marriage! They finished up living is West Ashford, Kent. William's 'wife' is listed as Elizabeth Jelly. She must have died before William and some of his children migrated to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. He remarried in April, 1868 - certificate sighted.

My contact through B-G Forums was a hopeful effort to see if the 'locals' could possiblly come up with a name - this item could be one of those that will forever remain a mystery.

Thanks again to you all.

Knowledgeable and helpful

According to ther LDS/IGI William Evans born abt 1819 Rhayader Radnorshire married Elizabeth Jelly 1842 Enfiled, London.
    This was submitted by a member of the LDS church. Film no 458802. There is also an ancestral file on William which has been submitted, so treat with caution as they are not always correct.

Julie

Knowledgeable and helpful

I had a look on Ancestrys full marriage index year 1841,42,43 couldnt find marriage for Elizabeth Jelly. Looks as though the wrong info may have been submitted on the LDS/IGI.

Julie

rasmusseneric

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes
    I had a look on Ancestrys full marriage index year 1841,42,43 couldnt find marriage for Elizabeth Jelly. Looks as though the wrong info may have been submitted on the LDS/IGI.

Julie
    Thanks Julie

I have had the same problem - there just does not seem to be an entry for Elizabeth.
    As I said above, this could remain a mystery.

Eric

HelenVSmith

Hi

The LDS member who submitted this entry was Mary the grandaughter of William Evans. And on the original form it just gives a year and the place Enfield. No marriage details were ever found. Lucy her mother had also submitted information (Lucy was an early LDS member in Brisbane in the 1880s)

I believe it was an approximation given as a time before the birth of the first child and using the place Enfield, which is where the first couple of children were baptised.

Unfortunately this information and some from another descendent on Mary's line has been propagated about a fair bit even though it is incorrect.

Helen

Carmy

The only town I think of that might sound like Trinidad is Tirabad, but it's in Breconshire (Brecknockshire). Is it possible he was working there when he was married?

Maybe somebody could check for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast