pepsi

Question Kings Royal Rifle Corps

Hi,
    Iam trying to find out some information about my uncle George Harbert's life in the Kings Royal Rifles, without much success.I know he joined them in 1929 and came out in the 1950's. I think he was a prisioner of war at one point . Could anyone point me in the right direction please. Peggy

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Smile

You could try the Veterans Agency. For £30 pounds they will send his service record, you need to be next of kin or have a letter from them giving you permission. you can phone them for more details.

I have the KRRC Chronicle for 1939 and under the title Seniority Roll ,Warrant Officers and Sergeants they have a Sergt. Harbert,G. appointed 1-10-38.

I know they started the war with 2 regular Battalions 1st & 2rd and that the 2rd Battalion were lost at Calais between the 23/5/1940 and 26/5/1940 and the troops who survived this battle spent the rest of the war in prison camps.

Keith
    Last edited by keith9351; 20-11-2006 at 8:52 AM.

Just to add to the above KRRC Roll of Officers 1939 - 1945 lists a
    Harbert, Lieut.(QM) G.T.
    This could be him as well.

Keith

Reputation beyond repute

You may be able to find WW2 prisoner of war records at the National Archives.

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=303

pepsi

Thumbs up kings royal rifles

Thankyou very much Peter for your help
    Peggy

Keith thankyou also for your help. I think that is him in the Chronicle, he was George Thomas, would you know where I could get copies of these Chronicles from.
    Peggy

Smile

Hi Peggy
    I buy my Chronicles on ebay, its only a list of officers & NCO's so if you like I could scan the page for you.

Looking through a couple of books I have on the KRRC they mention a RQMS Harbeth serving with 1st Battalion Queen Victoria Rifles which was a TA Regiment of the KRRC, the spelling in one book is Harbeth and the other is Harbutt.

They were part of 30th Infantry Brigade along with 2nd KRRC and 1st Rifle Brigade and fought at Calais. In the book it says "The Quartermaster, Lt. F.Trendall, was killed about this time while driving a car, accompanied by RQMS Harbeth, to collect rations."

The books are:- The Annals of The Kings Royal Rifles Volume VI by Giles Mills & Roger Nixon ISBN 0 85052 044 4

Swift and Bold Published 1949 by Gale & Polden

I'm not sure if your Library can get them for you.

Keith

pepsi

Smile kings royal rifles

Hi Keith

Thank you for the information about the books. If it is'nt to much trouble could you scan the chronicle page for me.
    Thanks again
    Peggy

Thumbs up

Hi Peggy, I will E-Mail scan to you, Keith

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Harbert

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    Hi,
    Iam trying to find out some information about my uncle George Harbert's life in the Kings Royal Rifles, without much success.I know he joined them in 1929 and came out in the 1950's. I think he was a prisioner of war at one point . Could anyone point me in the right direction please. Peggy
    Hello Peggy. I know that it some time since you posted your original request but I am hoping that this message gets to you. I am researching someone I knew as Joe Harbert. He lived at 2 Valantine House, Clapham, London in the 1950s. However, from electoral registers, the person who lived there was named as George T Harbert. He had two daughters and I think his wife died in the late 1940s or early 1950s. I am wondering if this could be your George Thomas Harbert. If so, please can you help with information. I am finding it difficult to find matching records. I know that my man re-married in 1965 to Gladys North but that is about all I can find for certain. Hoping for your help. PeterR

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums peter
    You say you know your man remarried in 1965 to Gladys North. Having looked on FreeBMD it was George T Harbert who married Gladys E North in 1965,registration district Cuckfield Surrey which is was abolished in 1974 to become part of the unparished area of Haywards Heath.

If you are absolutely sure that 'your' Joe Harbert married Gladys E North it looks very much as if he is George T.

If pepsi/Peggy is still the using the same email address she should receive an email telling her of your post to this thread.
    Good luck
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs