Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RLucyg

Question Early army records - 63rd Regiment of Foot

I am trying to find the early service records of my g g grandfather Joseph Routh born 1850 in Thirsk. I know from his marriage record that in 1882 he was a Sargeant in 1nd Batt. Manchester Regiment (formerly the 63rd West Suffolk regiment) in Urmritur, India. I know that he must have left the army by 1893.
    But I have struggled to find anything about him from before about 1878. I was hoping to find out when and where he joined the regiment. I have been unable to find him or is family anywhere on the 1861 census, they reappear on the 1871 census in Leeds without him.

Has anyone got any ideas where I should look?

Thank you.

neil1821

Hi,
    Here are the battalion's movements:
    https://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/063-1.htm

You'll notice from the link that the 63rd Foot/1st Manchesters were involved in the 2nd Afghan War 1878-80 and the Egypt intervention in 1882./

I've checked the relevant medal rolls and have found the following:
    1508 Sergeant Joseph Routh, 63rd Foot, Afghan Medal no bar
    1508 Sergeant Joseph Routh, 1st Manchesters, Egypt medal no bar
    1508 Sergeant Joseph Routh, 1st Manchesters, Khedive's Star 1882
    1508 Sergeant Joseph Routh, 2nd Manchesters, Army Long Service & Good Conduct medal, date of recommendation 1 April 1887

The LSGC medal is also significant as to qualify for this medal he would have needed to complete 18 years exemplary service. Working backwards then, this would put his enlistment in the army at roughly April 1869 (no later anyway).

Hope that helps,
    Neil

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RLucyg
    I am trying to find the early service records of my g g grandfather Joseph Routh born 1850 in Thirsk. I know from his marriage record that in 1882 he was a Sargeant in 1nd Batt. Manchester Regiment (formerly the 63rd West Suffolk regiment) in Urmritur, India. I know that he must have left the army by 1893........Has anyone got any ideas where I should look?
    I think you'll need a trip to Kew sometime. Have a browse of these two research guides:

Discharge papers
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=14

Pensions
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=15

Geoffers

RLucyg

Thank you Neil, I was informed by by a contact that Sergeant Joseph Routh No.1508, had his Egyptian medal presented by Queen Victoria on 21.11.82. (Joseph is only one of six with that note by their entry for the Manchester Regiment).
    Thank you Geoffers, I have been to Kew but could only find Muster Rolls for the period 1877 to 1888. It still puzzles me that he joined a Lancashire regiment when his family came from and lived in Yorkshire, which is why I'm trying to find when and where he signed up.

Rachel

Reputation beyond repute

Have another look at the advice Geoffers provided and at TNA catalogue. The dates you gave suggest his records are in a group of documents filed in surname order. Find the right piece in WO 97 and you may find you can order the documents to be sent to you by post.

Geoffers

Searching WO97 discharge papers 1883=1900 in TNA's catalogue https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
    for the correct piece, can be a bit of a pain.

Names are listed alphabetically by the first and last names in any box - but - exept fr common names, you will find that many are abbreviated and it is a case of experimenting to find the right combination for the first abbreviated name in a box. In your case, using the above seach engine, enter, ROUS in the word of phrase field, limit the date range to 1883-1900 (you know he retired by 1893). In the department or series code, enter WO97. Then search, you'll get one hit and your chap's service record should be included there.

Geoffers

neil1821

Rachel,
    His Egypt medal was indeed presented by the Queen. I didn't see that bit first time round.
    Have you come across Garen Ewing's site about the Afghan War? He's started on the massive task of creating a database of soldiers involved in this war. He has relatively few names online so far, but if you go to his database search page I see Joseph Routh is one of them.
    I'm sure Garen would like to hear from you.

Neil

RLucyg

Thank you both. I have been in touch with Garen already and Joseph Routh is on his database.
    With regard to the records at Kew, I will have to find someone to have a look for me or wait till I can find time to make the trip ( I live in York).

Thank you
    Rachel

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RLucyg
    I will have to find someone to have a look for me or wait till I can find time to make the trip ( I live in York).
    Did you bother to read what I said?

"...you may find you can order the documents to be sent to you by post".

Hapax Legomenon

Hi,

I'm new to this site. I have found this thread VERY useful in trying to track down my gggg grandfather who apparently served in the 63rd of foot. I know hardly anything about him as he doesn't appear in the 1851 census and was dead by 1861. Awaiting his son's birth certificate with bated breath!!

Thanks agin, I can finally make sense of the archive!!

Donna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast