Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ann marie

Quote Originally Posted by RLucyg View Post
    Thank you Neil, I was informed by by a contact that Sergeant Joseph Routh No.1508, had his Egyptian medal presented by Queen Victoria on 21.11.82. (Joseph is only one of six with that note by their entry for the Manchester Regiment).
    Thank you Geoffers, I have been to Kew but could only find Muster Rolls for the period 1877 to 1888. It still puzzles me that he joined a Lancashire regiment when his family came from and lived in Yorkshire, which is why I'm trying to find when and where he signed up.

Rachel
    Hi Folks,
    There is a family story in our house that my gg Grandfather Private Thomas Gallagher also of the 1st Batt 63rd of Foot was presented with one of his medals personally by Queen Victoria. ( He has an 2nd Afghan War Medal and an Eygptian Medal) I have travelled from Dublin to Kew and have his service records and there is nothing to that effect noted there. I had thought it was a tall tale until I read this entry but my grandmother is nearly 105 and she is adamant that there were only 6 of them and that the Queen kissed them all. My gg Grandfather was discharged on health grounds in March 1883 in Colchester.

How could I check if he was one of the 6 with this note for the Manchester Regiment?
    Thanks
    Ann Marie

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by ann marie
    How could I check if he was one of the 6 with this note for the Manchester Regiment?
    IF the story is true, it might have been reported in a local newspaper. Try the British Library Newspaper collection with its 19th century papers online -

https://
    newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

I've tried the London Gazette but can find nothing mentioned. I do find it difficult to imagine Queen Vic giving a smacker to six squaddies.

ann marie

Will do. Many thanks Geoffers.
    Ann Marie

Starting to feel at home

Default Early army records - 63rd Regiment of Foot

Hi! I am lucky to have found this thread - my 3 Great Grandfather was (at one time) a Sergeant in the 63rd Regiment of Foot. However, his enlistment pushes this forum back to 8 September 1819. I know that the earliest that the thread has posted is 1832, and that is OK with me!

My Edward Mackay (also McKee, Mackie and Mackey) had a Regimental Number of 143 and is reported to have died on the trip back to England from Fort St George, Madras (now Chennai) in 1840 - and as a Private, not a Sergeant.

A very kind British-Genealogy Forum member (Pete Lawson) visited Kew for me and found WO25 1947 and WO12 7272 which references Edward, but unfortunately, I am unable to discern the small writing under his reported death in WO12 7272. (I would be grateful if anyone can provide a transcription of that entry!!!).

His daughter Elizabeth was born 1832 while Edward was stationed at Macquarie Harbour, Van Dieman's Land (on the west coast of what is now Tasmania). Has anyone found any information on the Regiment during this time?

I am open to any assistance that can be provided!!!!

Megan in Sydney

Find my Past has a record (12 images) for a Joseph Routh, born Sutton Nr Thursk. Originally joined the 53rd regiment 22 Feb 1869 (No 1627) and transferred to the 63rd 31 May 1870 (No 1508).

Manchester Courier & Lancs General Advertiser Sat 25 Nov 1882
    At the presentation of medals at Windsor Castle, by her Majesty, the Lancashire Regiments were represented by Lieut -colonel Auchinleck, Sergeant-major Threadgold, Colour - sergeant Mulcaster, Sergeant J. Routh, and Privates J. Stewart and Overy, of the 1st battalion Manchester regiment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12