Pat English

Default Poolestown Stalbridge

Does anyone know anything about the history of Poolestown, Stalbridge? Perhaps why it has that name?

I ask because my ancestors were called Poole, came from Stalbridge and some of them lived in Poolestown.

It's close to the river Bibbern, so I guess it may just be a place where the water pooled. Although I would love it to have been named after my lot!

Grateful for any help,
    Pat

Dunbrack

Default Newfoundland Pooles from Stalbridge??

Hi Pat,

I was very interested to come across your post. For years, I have been trying to discover a West Country connection to my Newfoundland Poole family. For reasons I won't bore you with, I now believe that my family is descended from Henry Poole, who was christened in Stalbridge on 24 March 1799.

I found your post because today I've been reading the Stalbridge Inheritance by Irene Jones and came across "Poolestown" for the very first time. Were you able to learn anything more about it? Which Stalbridge Pooles are you descended from? I'd love to hear from you. We may well be cousins!

Steve Poole

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Steve , Do you have a copy of both volumes? Fascinating stuff!

radstockjeff

Dunbrack

Thanks for your reply. I have a copy of the 1780-1854 volume and have seen the earlier one. It is a fascinating account that must have involved a mind-boggling amount of work. Do you have Stalbridge connections?

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Yes, we have traced my family back with some degree of certainty to around 1700, but the registers prior to this date seem to have disappeared. The main family name is Parsons, with Normans and Speights and Rogers, Greenstocks, Arneys and Bazeleys thrown in for good measure along the way. All the male ancestors seem to have had some connection to the building trade, and in my case still do.

radstockjeff

Dunbrack

My mother is a Parsons although, to date, I've done very little to trace that branch of my family's history. Parsons is among the most common surnames in Newfoundland.