Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    plantheaven

Question Cinema fire Dromcolloger, Limerick 1926

My grandmother, Mary Kiely, went home to Dromcollogher following a cinema fire there which claimed a large number of lives. She went back to attend the funeral of several family members.
    Does anyone have any details of this fire and also could someone point me in the right direction for a list of those killed? Have trawled internet and have found outline of story. Contacted a few Irish papers for archive material but they have been unable to help - I am probably looking at the wrong papers! So if anyone out there could help me I would be very grateful. Thanks.
    Jacqui

Ger Gilmore

Hi,

I'm originally from the village of Dromcollogher and I am currently living in Cork city. My parents and younger brother live in Drom still and if you want any information on the fire (now a library) I would be more than happy to help.....

Loves to help with queries

Hi Jacqui
    There were 48 who died in the fire including JAMES QUAID a relation of my grandmother. There is a detailed write up of the story in the Limerick Leader at
    https://www.limerick-leader.ie/issues...101/s1920.html
    which mentions the names of some of those involved. The fire took place on 5th September 1926 and 46 died then whilst 2 others died later as a result of injuries sustained at the time.
    There is a Celtic Cross in the grounds of Dromcollogher Church which was erected to the memory of those who died - see picture
    https://www.limerickdioceseheritage.o...rBroadford.htm
    and select the churches page.
    Jill
    Last edited by JNicLiam; 09-05-2005 at 6:36 AM. Reason: Used wrong name

plantheaven

Thanks for your help and information. The article was a great help as I at least know what happened that night. I would still like to access a list of the those involved, especially those killed.
    Thanks again.
    Jacqui

patrickward

Hi Jacqui
    My grandfather's mother was killed in this fire. I have a list of those who died. If you're still interested and reading this thread, let me know and I'll post the list.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Last edited by patrickward; 02-03-2006 at 10:34 PM.

plantheaven

Talking

Dear Patrick,

I would love any information that you have on this fire. Also if you know of any source that I could use to find out more about this I would be grateful.
    Thanks again.
    Jacqui

patrickward

Hi there,

The following is from a poster or newspaper. It starts with a headline “The Men Women and Children who lost their lives in the Dromcollogher Cinema Disaster Sunday, September 5th, 1926. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus have Mercy on their Soul”.

It then continues as follows:

A family of six died together. They were JEREMIAH BUCKLEY, a school teacher, and his wife and child, his brother, THOMAS BUCKLEY; Miss WALL, sister-in-law, and the maid, NORA KIRWIN.
    Among the dead is a London girl, NORA MARY HANNIGAN, who was on a holiday with her mother in Dromcollogher. Below are some of the names of the dead:
    Mrs. M COLLINS and her daughter, of Greenfield, and her two nieces, Misses O’SULLIVAN.
    Mrs. F. McAULIFFE and her son and daughter.
    Mrs. FITZGERALD and son and daughter.
    Mrs. BARRETT and her two children.
    Mrs J. O’BRIEN and her daughter, ELLIE.
    Mrs. D. O’CALLAGHAN and her mother-in-law.
    Two little sisters named KENNY.
    WILLIAM SAVAGE.
    Mrs. JOHN EGAN.
    A 14-year old boy named HARFORD.
    ANTHONY McCARTHY.
    Miss V. IRWIN, of Feenagh.
    WILLIAM QUIRKE.
    Miss NOLAN.
    MINNIE AND NORAH LONG.
    MAY O’BRIEN.
    PATRICK O’DONNELL.
    EUGENE O’SULLIVAN.
    DANIEL HORAN.
    JAMES QUAID, Milford.
    R. WALSH, National Teacher, Milford.
    BOB AHERN.
    Mrs. COLLINS, Dromcollogher.
    Mrs. MADDEN.
    Miss SHEEHAN.
    Mrs. HARTNETT, Gardenfield.
    Mrs. TURNER, Gardenfield.

Also, my grandfather (Dermot O'Callaghan) also just gave an interview for a Sunday newspaper here in Ireland: The Sunday Tribune.

https://www.tribune.ie
    Do a search for "Dromcollogher" and look out for the article called:
    "The forgotten 48: time has not doused embers of Limerick fire"

...you will be prompted for a username but it's easy (and free) to register.

Regards,

Patrick
    Last edited by patrickward; 20-03-2006 at 7:11 PM.

plantheaven

Talking

Dear, dear Patrick,

How can I ever thank you enough. I have been searching for something like this for years! Now all I have to do is sort out who is related to my grandmother. If anyone out there knows of a Kiely connection I would love to hear from you. As I find it almost impossible to get to Ireland I am reliant on all those of you who are good enough to help. Again, thanks very much.Jacqui

KevinW

My great Aunt Norah Hannigan was I believe the youngest victim of the fire. She was 11 years old.
    She was on holiday from London.
    Kevin Woolterton.

KevinW

I have just found an article that says a 7 year old died in the fire, so what I was told about my Great Aunt may be incorrect.
    Last edited by KevinW; 01-06-2006 at 6:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast