Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whitbread

Default Jekyll Wilson and Charlotte Wilson

Hi I am looking for a Jekyll Wilson married Sarah Brough in St
    Botolph's, Boston, in 1817, who had a daughter in 1832 called Charlotte.
    I believe she had several children out of wedlock and I want to try and
    identify this lady as my grandmothers grandmother. Was there more than
    one Charlotte Wilson, born 1832 in St Botolph's Boston? I believe the
    man Jekyll Wilson could have been Mayor of Boston and had to resign due
    to his daughters unmarried state, If you could help me or tell me where
    I might find help, I would be grateful, thanks Trevena

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Trevena,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Firstly, I think that a query to Boston Borough Council would probably be able to confim if Jekyll was ever Mayor.
    https://www.boston.gov.uk/index.php?o...99&Itemid=3441
    Do you have the marriage certificate of the Charlotte Wilson who married Robert Scotrick? If not, send for it to confirm that this Charlotte's father is Jekyll. If it is then Charlotte was not married previously (otherwise her surname would no longer be Wilson).
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ma...ates/index.asp
    I believe the other Charlotte Wilson in the 1841 census, daughter of Thomas, married Daniel Twiddy in March 1853 at St Botolphs. The Charlotte who married Robert Scotrick did not marry at St Botolphs. (I've just indexed the marriage PR for that year which is how I know. )
    Pam

whitbread

Default Jekyll Wilson

Thanks very Pam, I'll have a go, Trevena

whitbread

Default Charlotte Wilson

Hi Pam, just wondering if you can help me again. If I apply for the marriage cert of Charlotte Wilson, will it show her fathers details if he is already dead at the time of her marriage? thanks Trevena

whitbread

Default Charlotte Wilson

Hi Pam, just wondering if you can help me again. If I apply for the marriage cert of Charlotte Wilson, will it show her fathers details if he is already dead at the time of her marriage? thanks Trevena

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Hi Trevena,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Firstly, I think that a query to Boston Borough Council would probably be able to confim if Jekyll was ever Mayor.
    https://www.boston.gov.uk/index.php?o...99&Itemid=3441
    Do you have the marriage certificate of the Charlotte Wilson who married Robert Scotrick? If not, send for it to confirm that this Charlotte's father is Jekyll. If it is then Charlotte was not married previously (otherwise her surname would no longer be Wilson).
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ma...ates/index.asp
    I believe the other Charlotte Wilson in the 1841 census, daughter of Thomas, married Daniel Twiddy in March 1853 at St Botolphs. The Charlotte who married Robert Scotrick did not marry at St Botolphs. (I've just indexed the marriage PR for that year which is how I know. )
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by whitbread
    Hi Trevena,
    A marriage certificate should give a father's name, unless it really isn't known, in which case it will say 'unknown'. Bear in mind though that not everyone knew their father's name, and sometimes I think one was plucked out of thin air. (My 2x great grandmother gave her grandfather's name. I've now found out that she was illegitimate, but it caused me a lot of confusion when I first received the certificate, as I assumed that the person who is her uncle was her father.)
    If the father is deceased, then in addition to his name, it sometimes says 'deceased', but I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Think it depends on how well the vicar/registrar knew the family, and/or if they bothered to ask if the father was dead or alive.
    For the ultimate 'what info do I get on a certificate' I can do no better than refer you to
    https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
    Pam

whitbread

Hi Pam, I did send off for the marriage certificate and it showed that Jekyll was indeed Charlottes father and her name was still wilson so she was unmarried. I was so happy to have sorted that all out at last, thank you for all your help. Trevena

Hi Trevena
    I'm just typing up some more of the Stump marriages and came across 'father's name Jekyll', and thought 'that rings a bell'. As soon as I saw the bride was Elizabeth Wilson I knew why.
    If you collect the siblings' BMDs, Elizabeth was married in St Botolphs Boston on 12th October 1862. The groom was James Squires, and it's entry number 183 in the register.
    Lincolnshire Archives can provide a photocopy of the entry in the PR for about a couple of quid, possibly a bit less.
    https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?catId=6641
    Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 27-12-2006 at 2:22 AM. Reason: Incorrect entry number given

whitbread

Default Jekyl and Elizabeth

Hi Pam that is really nice of you, thank you. I will certainly be able to enter this info. I did as you suggested and sent off for Charlottes marriage certificate and sure enough the father was Jekyll a cabinet maker so I finally had the missing piece. It also means that Charlotte never married and had three children out of wedlock before she married a Robert Scotrick in 1871. Again thank you, always pleased when I get new infomation, Trevena

Hi Trevena
    I'm just typing up some more of the Stump marriages and came across 'father's name Jekyll', and thought 'that rings a bell'. As soon as I saw the bride was Elizabeth Wilson I knew why.
    If you collect the siblings' BMDs, Elizabeth was married in St Botolphs Boston on 12th October 1862. The groom was James Squires, and it's entry number 183 in the register.
    Lincolnshire Archives can provide a photocopy of the entry in the PR for about a couple of quid, possibly a bit less.
    Pam

whitbread

Default Only two left to find

Hi Pam, many thanks for that info about Elizabeth, I have now entered her husband into my tree. I have all of Jekyl's children's in my tree and have most of their partners names except Henry Wilson born 1821 Boston, Sarah Ann Wilson born 1825 and only the surname of Emmas husband which is Julian. If you ever come across these names whilst doing your typing I would be grateful if you would continue to let me know, thanks again, Trevena

Hi Trevena
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast