Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    birdlip

Default Parish look up for James Bolwell, St Edmunds, Salisbury, please

I'm wondering if some kind person can help me find the birth or christening details of my g-g grandfather, James Bolwell, born Salisbury c1812. Names of other siblings too would be fantastic.

I'm assuming it would be St Edmunds and not one of the other churches. He married Mary Moxam in 1831 at St Edmunds, I have the details of (I think) all their children, christened at St Edmunds and I've found him on all the relevant censuses and have his death certificate, he and Mary were buried in the London Rd cemetry. I just would love to get back another generation, and I've got stuck!

HiFly

Question

Havn't found any info directly birdlip, but this link appears to have a load of Moxam's in Fovant (about 8 miles sw of Salisbury).
    https://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.b...nt/mar37on.htm

Also found this reference to early Bolwells in Wilts
    https://www.moonrakers.org.uk/md/Prob...cs/waout0.html

If you need any pics taken - then as I live in Salisbury - london Rd Cemetery is about 1/2 ml from me - I'm happy to do so.

HiFly

birdlip

Thanks very much for that Hifly,
    the Moonrakers site looks really interesting.

I've come across lots of Moxams in Wiltshire, there are lots in Ebbesbourne Wake too, going way back, and in Sixpenny Handley, in fact most of the villages west of Salisbury, going towards Blandford Forum and Shaftesbury, seem to have lots of them. I may well find they all connect up, and your Fovant info will come in handy in the future, thankyou.

My Mary Moxam was born in Salisbury, on 14/01/1812, and christened with her sister Charlotte at St Edmunds on 02/02/1814. I've found only one more child, Elizabeth, b 1818. Parents are William and Lettice. Now, you'd think, with a name like Lettice, I'd be able to trace back easily, but no, I've got stuck with them too! My guess is that they may well have come to Salisbury, from an outlying area, around this time. I'll keep trying, Thanks again, Birdlip

birdlip

Hifly,
    thanks very much too for your offer to take photos, what a kind person you are!! How would you do that? I guess I would need to send you my email address? Thats not a problem, just let me know what I need to do.

I would be interested to see the details on the memorial inscription, from the cemetry. James Bolwells date of death is 15 May 1875, age 63. Mary Bolwell was 74, she died on 12th March 1886. The ref Number is 113748. I hope all that helps.

I have been stuck on this branch of the family for years, so anything you can help me with is much appreciated.

kind regards, Birdlip

birdlip

I suppose all this Moxam stuff should go under a new thread, really, shouldn't it? I'm new to this site as you might have gathered. Oh well.

Birdlip

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

From the IGI:

There is an Allen Bolwell christened at St. Edmunds, Salisbury on 5 Oct 1803, parents: John and Elizabeth. Perhaps he was a brother to James? There's also twins James and Isaac Baldwin chr: 7 Oct 1807 at St. Edmunds, par: John and Elizabeth - perhaps it was mis-transcribed? You might try to get a look at a copy of the original, if possible, to see if Baldwin was really Bolwell... The age at marriage would then be about 23, which is reasonable, given you know Mary was 19.

In the 1841 census, there is an Isaac Bolwell, age: 33, living in Trowbridge, Wiltshire - he could be the twin... He has a wife Elizabeth and a child Sarah. There is no Isaac Baldwin in Wiltshire born at about the same time.

Also in the 1841 census, there is a James Baldwell, age:35, living in St. Edmunds, Wiltshire - with wife Mary Ann and children Maria, James, and Charles, as well as 18-yr-old Eliza Barnes. Would this be your James? Ages were often rounded in the 1841 census...

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 08-11-2006 at 3:11 PM.

There is a marriage between John Baldwin and Elizabeth Latty, 31 DEC 1798 in Fisherton Anger, Wiltshire, England, that could be the John and Elizabeth found in Salisbury a few years later as either Baldwin or Bolwell...

Debbie

With regard to Mary Moxam: I have found a marriage for a William Moxam in St. Edmunds to Amelia Bennet on 21 Oct 1833. Could he have been a brother to Mary, married 2 years before, and a son of William and Lettice? Or perhaps a second marriage of Mary's father?

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 08-11-2006 at 3:54 PM.

In the 1841 census, in St. Edmunds, Wiltshire, there is a William Moxham, age 50, then a Milyer (Amelia?), age 25, and children Edward(17), Frederick(15), and Walter(13). It is possible Milyer is either a second wife or one of William's children, but given the marriage in 1833 she may have been his second wife, making the others children who are obviously from a prior marriage. Their immediate neighbors are John Bolwell(40), his wife Mary(40), and their sons Frederick(15), John(14), and Robert(1). Age rounding in 1841 adds to the confusion!

If William was Mary's brother, and John was related to James, living as neighbors would certainly strengthen the family ties...

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 08-11-2006 at 4:28 PM.

In Mar qtr 1851, there is a marriage for Amelia Moxham in Salisbury, Wiltshire (vol 8, pg 656). There is also a death for William Moxham in Sep qtr 1841 in Salisbury, Wiltshire (vol 8, pg 203). It would be worth sending for these certificates to find out if William's father was William, and if information on Amelia reveals her to have been the daughter or widow of William...

Debbie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast