Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    birdlip

Excellent Debbie Ann...I'm glad you've read this. Honestly, as I've said before, I never would have thought of getting from BOLWELL to BALDWIN, so give yourself a massive pat on the back!!

birdlip

Ok Thomasin, I've found them! Did it by putting in John Baldwell and Elizabeth, if you put in the individual names of the children, they don't appear. Curious.

birdlip

Aha..I'm getting the hang of it now. I've found James and Isaacs birth dates; James 9 Jan 1804 and Isaac 1 Dec 1806, both bap 7 Oct 1807 at St Edmunds. So they weren't twins, its interesting that this site seems to have some extra info...I think I'm hooked!

Thomasin

Good, I'm glad you got sorted out while I was at the dentist! It's good news that you have found Isaac - I wondered where he was. James 1804 you think is the one that died, isn't it? Have to look for a death on this site.

Thomasin

Thomasin

Default Moxam and Bolwell

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Parents are William and Lettice. Now, you'd think, with a name like Lettice, I'd be able to trace back easily,
    From the parish records of St Edmunds, Salisbury, William 'MAXAM' was married to Laetitia CARTER on 14th October, 1809, so she must have been wife number 1. Wife number 2, as we know, was Amelia BENNETT, who married William MOXAM, porter, on 21st October 1833.

As for the BOLWELLs, the parish records of Baverstock show James BOLWELL of Anstey marrying Sarah ROWDEN of Baverstock on 27th January 1763. From the IGI we have James christened 8th April 1764 at Ansty and Allen christened 18th September 1774, also at Ansty.

With this combination of names, especially Allen, is it possible that John the basket maker b. abt. 1777 and married in 1798 was a brother of young James and Allen?

Thomasin

birdlip

Excellent Thomasin, thanks so much for that... more puzzle pieces!

Those Anstey Bolwell's have interested me for a while now, they've been at the top of my strays pile, it's particularly that Allen name. There's an earlier ALLEN BOLWELL here, who I'm guessing is the father of James who marries in 1763;

(From Family History Online) Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds
    1727 Oct 5 Groom Allen BOLWELL aged- occ malster residing at Swallowcliffe, Wil Bride Sarah FURNILLE aged- residing at Tisbury, wil Bondsmen JAMES William, Berwick St John, Wilts, to be married at Combe (Thats it. Combe What? there doesn't seem to be a place in Wilts called just Combe)

and a birth on IGI;
    Hanah BOLWELL ch 7 Feb 1737 Independent, Tisbury Wiltshire. parents Allen BOLWELL and Sarah

and from TNA;

Information relating to document ref. no. 2667/1/1/179- counterpart of lease: Henry, lord Arundell to Allen BOLWELL of Ansty, maltster: house etc, Ansty. date: 1756

Information relating to document ref. no. 2667/1/1/216 Lease: Henry, Lord Arundell to James BOLWELL of Ansty, labourer: cottage etc, Ansty Date: 1773

Swallowcliffe and Ansty are neighbouring parishes, and Tisbury is only a few miles away. Most of Tisbury, and the surrounding area seems to have been owned by the Arundells. Ansty is ten miles or so from Salisbury, towards the Dorset border.

I'm really stuck as to where I can go from here though, how I can try to connect them all up ...anyone have any ideas? Would the documents from TNA be worth getting, would they contain any other information?

birdlip

Thomasin

I come bearing news. I have been fully intending to visit the archives at Chippenham for some time, but the trip hasn't come about. However, I wondered if they operate a photocopying service for researchers who know what they are looking for - and they do!

Firstly, they searched for the record you mentioned, of the marriage of Allen Bolwell of Swallowcliffe and Sarah Furnille of Tisbury in 1727 at ?Combe, but it couldn't be found.

I have a copy of the marriage record for James Bolwell of Seend and Elizabeth Allen of Bishop's Cannings on May 8th 1751 at Rowde. Probably not applicable, but I couldn't resist the Allen name.

I have a copy of the banns and marriage record that we know about, of James Bolwell of Ansty and Sarah Rowden of Baverstock, 27th January 1763 at Baverstock. James signed, Sarah made her mark. Witnesses were Thomas Jesse and Wm Daniell (the latter also witnessed the marriage above, so probably a parish clerk).

I don't have the baptism of James junior, but I do have a copy of the baptism of Allen, son of James and Sarah Bolwell, Sept. 18th 1774 at Ansty.

The first lease - 2667/1/1/179 dated 20th January 1756 - between Henry Lord Arundell and Allen Bolwell, maltster. This is a massive document, four sheets of A3, and the writing is the style where 'e's and 'r's are almost indistinguishable. However, it mentions James Bolwell, son of the said Allen Bolwell. Allen Bolwell has signed it.

The second lease - 2667/1/1/216 dated October 6th 1773 - between Henry Lord Arundell and James Bolwell, labourer - is also enormous, but partially printed and the writing, where the requisite spaces have been filled in, is much easier to read. It mentions that Allen Bolwell was the father of James Bolwell, and also that James's wife is Sarah, aged 40 and their son James is 10. James Bolwell (the elder) has signed it.

I'm sure that James's signature on the marriage record is the same as James's signature on the lease.

It would seem likely that the 1727 Allen/Sarah marriage would be that of the Allen in the first lease, but I can't find any record (yet) of a John being born around 1777, so are these the Bolwells we are looking for - or not?

birdlip

Well done!

Sorry for my late reply on here. I've been having a bit of a break from the forum.

It's that ALLEN name that's so intriguing! James Bolwell and Elizabeth ALLEN's marriage at Rowde is interesting I agree, and would probably interest us further if he turned out to be a basket and chairmaker!

The Ansty BOLWELL's are so close to Salisbury though, and the father Allen BOLWELL's name predates the Rowde marriage.. I wonder if we could investigate the marriage witness Thomas JESSE (the one you think wasn't a parish clerk) If we could find a connection there, it might be useful?

Thomasin

The name JESSE was connected with Baverstock because the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives have, dated from 1730-1780:

Twelve deeds relating to property in the parish and manor of Baverstock.
    Parties: Baker, Brabaram, Dennis, Fricker, Jesse, Penruddocke, Sherlocke.

In the FMP parish records collection, Thomas JESSE of Chilmark aged 30 married Elisabeth DOLTON aged 22 of Compton Chamberlain on 20th November 1753 at Baverstock/Little Langford/Burcombe. Thomas was a farmer.

However, nothing to link JESSE with BOLWELL.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    The name JESSE was connected with Baverstock

nothing to link JESSE with BOLWELL.
    Oh well, worth a try!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast