Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    birdlip

Well done DebbieAnn!!!

James BALDWELL in the 41 census is definitely my James BOLWELL. His first three children were indeed Maria, James and Charles, in that order. Though, using the BALDWELL spelling, today I found another child, Elizabeth, b 1833, between Maria and James, she mustn't have survived, because she doesnt appear in the 51 census. I thought I had James and Mary in all the censuses, but I see from my records that I only had the 51 onwards.

The ages certainly were rounded though! James and Mary were the same age, more or less. They were 40 and 39 in the 51 census, both 49 in the 61, 60 in the 71, and Mary is living alone in the 81, aged 70. Eliza B is still with them in the 51 census, described as a lodger, aged 22. So she only aged 4 years in a decade!

No wonder I havent been able to find James's birth, if your BALDWIN suggestion turns out to be the one! I would never have thought of getting BALDWIN from BOLWELL, but BALDWIN from BALDWELL is not such a huge leap is it?

Your information about Isaac BOLWELL living in Trowbridge in 1841, and there being no Isaac BALDWINS, is very interesting..AND, today I found a marriage between Isaac BALWELL and Elizabeth Naish on 8th June 1829 at Wilton by Salisbury. Only two years before James. It would have to be him, don't you think?

The only thing thats bothering me is the date. I have so much info that points to James being born in 1811/12, not 1807. Or was the date mis-transcribed? As well as the name? Of course, James and Isaac may not have been twins, they were perhaps just siblings christened on the same day- like Mary Moxam and her sister...two for the price of one! I think that happened a lot.

I looked up Fisherton Anger and its apparently now a suburb of Salisbury, though it would have been a rural parish then. So your marriage suggestion is definitely a possibility too.

It looks like Allen is certainly a brother, possibly John Bolwell too, that you found in the 41 census.

You're a star, DebbieAnn, and I haven't even started on the Moxams yet!!

Birdlip

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

I'm happy my efforts proved of some value! I actually have distant cousins in NSW, who know nothing of my existence. They are related to me on my father's side, which originally came from Salisbury and Fisherton Anger! Perhaps someday, I'll be able to get in touch with them...

Debbie

birdlip

Hi DebbieAnn,

I've been re-reading the info you sent on the Moxams, I think between the Bolwells and the Moxams, I've got enough leads to keep me going for quite a while! This branch of the family is on my fathers side too. My maiden name was Bolwell.

You should definitely look up your NSW cousins one day. Do you know where they live? We live in the Bega Valley, on the Far South Coast, near the Victorian Border. Its a beautiful part of the world!

Once again, thanks so much, you wouldnt believe how many years I've been stuck on this!

Kind regards, Birdlip

birdlip

Default update!

I can hardly believe it, after all this time...have a look and see what I found ...

Wiltshire Baptisms (pre 1837)
    On 7 Jun 1813 (born 2 April 1812) James Lattey BALDWELL s of John (occupation basket maker) and Elizabeth Living at -- was baptised at Salisbury, St Thomas, WIL

WooHoo!!!

We know John was a chair and basket maker, from his death certificate in 1838. Wasn't it just so obliging of them to decide to give James a middle name, because it's provided the link with the BALDW(IN)/ LATTY marriage Debbie Ann found for me two years ago. I hope you're reading this Debbie Ann!

This couple seemed to move around a lot. Married in Fisherton Anger, now a suburb of Salisbury; then baptised children in all three parishes in Salisbury itself, which I think is what's thrown me. I found another son for them too, on IGI;

Henry BALDWELL ch 02 Jul 1815 St Martin, Salisbury, Wilts. Parents John and Elizabeth Baldwell

It does call into question the earlier James baptised with Isaac at St Edmunds in 1807, but I'm sure its the same family. I'd say this earlier James died. James Lattey B is exactly the right date too, it was the only thing that didn't feel right. Of course I know census dates can be way out, but James's seemed so consistent all through, and on his death cert too.

I'm off to post a new thread on the marriage at Fisherton Anger. The next hurdle is where did they come from?

I'm SO excited, I wasn't expecting to find anything, just browsing really...

Thomasin

Have you been looking at the pilot Familysearch Records? There seems to be another son of John and Elizabeth, William christened at St Thomas, Salisbury in 1809. https://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start/html

Thomasin

birdlip

Thomasin that's fantastic...we always knew there were gaps...but your link is giving me an error message.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    Have you been looking at the pilot Familysearch Records? There seems to be another son of John and Elizabeth, William christened at St Thomas, Salisbury in 1809. https://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start/html

Thomasin
    Try start.html instead of start/html

birdlip

Right. Got that, thanks Andrew.

birdlip

Thomasin, I can't find him at all under Baldwell...when I try other spelling variations, I get to a census page which takes me to find my past, and no further because I'm not a member. What am I doing wrong?

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    I can hardly believe it, after all this time...have a look and see what I found ...

Wiltshire Baptisms (pre 1837)
    On 7 Jun 1813 (born 2 April 1812) James Lattey BALDWELL s of John (occupation basket maker) and Elizabeth Living at -- was baptised at Salisbury, St Thomas, WIL

WooHoo!!!

We know John was a chair and basket maker, from his death certificate in 1838. Wasn't it just so obliging of them to decide to give James a middle name, because it's provided the link with the BALDW(IN)/ LATTY marriage Debbie Ann found for me two years ago. I hope you're reading this Debbie Ann!

This couple seemed to move around a lot. Married in Fisherton Anger, now a suburb of Salisbury; then baptised children in all three parishes in Salisbury itself, which I think is what's thrown me. I found another son for them too, on IGI;

Henry BALDWELL ch 02 Jul 1815 St Martin, Salisbury, Wilts. Parents John and Elizabeth Baldwell

It does call into question the earlier James baptised with Isaac at St Edmunds in 1807, but I'm sure its the same family. I'd say this earlier James died. James Lattey B is exactly the right date too, it was the only thing that didn't feel right. Of course I know census dates can be way out, but James's seemed so consistent all through, and on his death cert too.

I'm off to post a new thread on the marriage at Fisherton Anger. The next hurdle is where did they come from?

I'm SO excited, I wasn't expecting to find anything, just browsing really...
    Yes - still here! Glad the information was of use to you! I love hearing back like this!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast