woodjc

Question Wood family of Chisworth

I have just received a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate. The birth of William was registered in Chisworth, Derbyshire in 1838. The father James WOOD was a collier. The mother was Hannah, formerly WALKER. Could anyone look up this family in the 1841 census for me and provide details?
    .........John

willow

1841 HO107/185/11 Folio 7 (all born in county)
    James Wood 25...labourer
    Hannah Wood 20
    William Wood 3
    Joel Wood 1
    Erne Croft, Glossop, Derbyshire

on previous page
    Samuel Wood 55...Farmer
    Hannah Wood 50
    William Wood 20

1851 HO107/2152 Folio 536
    James Wood Head 36 b Denton, Lancs...Coal Miner
    Hannah Wood Wife 34 b Chisworth, Derby
    William Wood Son 13 b Chisworth, Derby...Weaver
    Joel Wood 10 Son b Derby...Coal Miner
    Martha Wood 8 Dau b Derby
    Jacob Wood 3 Son b Derby
    James Wood Son 8mths b Charlesworth, Derby
    Lane Head, Charlesworth, Derbyshire

more children on the 1861 census

Sue
    Last edited by willow; 27-10-2006 at 9:01 PM.

willow

1861 RG9/3026 Folio 128
    James Wood Head 46 b Denton, Lancs...Coal miner
    Hannah Wood Wife 44 b Denton, Lancs
    Joel Wood Son 20 unm b Ludworth, Derby...Coal miner
    Jacob Wood Son 13 b Ludworth, Derby...Piecer
    James Wood Son 10 b Charlesworth
    Joseph Wood Son 8 b Charlesworth
    Alice Wood Dau 5 b Charlesworth
    Enock Wood Son 3 b Tonge, Lancs
    Samuel Wood Son 4mths b Bradford, Lancs
    Lodge, Middleton, Lancashire
    Reg dist: Oldham

Sue

woodjc

Sue

Thanks Sue,

That is a lot to work with. By 1861 I show William W. living in Tonge near Middleton, Lancs. with Jane -the first of his three wives. None of his 14 children had yet been born. -It must be that Derbyshire water!

Is it likely that the Woods on the previous page of the 1841 census were related? I guess I will be looking in Denton for James W.'s birth but Samuel W.'s age makes him a potential father. Then the son would have been named after his uncle.

If you would be kind enough to post the 1861 info, for James' family I will add the other siblings to my chart.

woodjc

Hi Sue,

I was so excited at seeing your first post that I had replied before reading the second.
    Thanks very much indeed.
    ...........John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by woodjc View Post
    I have just received a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate. The birth of William was registered in Chisworth, Derbyshire in 1838. The father James WOOD was a collier. The mother was Hannah, formerly WALKER. Could anyone look up this family in the 1841 census for me and provide details?
    .........John
    I know this is 15 years later and you may not now still be a member, but William Wood as mentioned above was my 2nd great grandfather.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, just read this thread I believe we may be related. William Wood formerly of Chisworth and latterly of Middleton was my Great Grandfather. William was married three times. My grandfather George was one of the children of his marriage to Emma. Emma was William's second wife.According to the 1881 census the family home was on Grimshaw lane Middleton and in that year George was 1.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWood View Post
    Hi, just read this thread I believe we may be related. William Wood formerly of Chisworth and latterly of Middleton was my Great Grandfather. William was married three times. My grandfather George was one of the children of his marriage to Emma. Emma was William's second wife.According to the 1881 census the family home was on Grimshaw lane Middleton and in that year George was 1.
    Hello! Yes we very much are. William Wood was my Great Great Grandfather too. My Great Grandfather Wilfred was his son through his first marriage to Jane Clegg. My part of the family continued to live in Middleton (although I moved away in my twenties). Are you on Ancestry at all only I have photographs etc on there?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I am not on Ancestory but I know someone who is so I will check out your photos etc. I still live in Middleton. My son has done some research and he tells me that Wilfred was the father of Edgar who was sadly killed in the Great War. George also served but was medically discharged. We have photos of Edgar's grave.I also have a photo of Edgar with a handwritten note on the rear 'in loving memory of Edgar killed in action Oct 8th 1918

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWood View Post
    Hi, I am not on Ancestory but I know someone who is so I will check out your photos etc. I still live in Middleton. My son has done some research and he tells me that Wilfred was the father of Edgar who was sadly killed in the Great War. George also served but was medically discharged. We have photos of Edgar's grave.I also have a photo of Edgar with a handwritten note on the rear 'in loving memory of Edgar killed in action Oct 8th 1918
    Hi Andy - good to hear from you. Yes that is correct - my Grandad was Walter - Edgar's brother. I have been to his Edgar's grave a couple of times (WW1 is a passion of mine) but I would love to see the photo that you have. I use my maiden name for my Ancestry account - Janet Hartley - user name janj87. I would love to know more about George as he is a blank in my tree at the mo. You can email me on janj87 AT gmail DOT com if you prefer. Cheers Jan
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-06-2021 at 2:35 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers