Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Edward Charles Styles born 1895/6 Merrow Guildford England

We are looking for Edward Charles Styles who was born 1895/6 in Merrow, Guildford Surrey England, he is my grandmothers youngest brother. He join the Canadian Army in 1915. 148 Battalion, British Exped. Force. He stayed out there. Maybe Quebec. We have a couple of post card with photo's so he was in touch we the family. We have his Reg no, and know he was alive in 1964 because he applied for extra pension, but it does not say where he was then. We are hoping that someone may be able to find out when he died we would like to find family if there are any, or give us some idea how to go about finding out. Any help would be appreciated.

Irene Dredge

Mutley

I cannot find him in England Census records of 1841 before he joined the Army. Neither does Free BMD list him as died in England 1964-1980.
    Sorry

P.S. Sorry should have said 1901
    Last edited by Mutley; 29-10-2006 at 9:25 PM. Reason: wrong census date!!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Found the following on the 1901 census:-

parish Merrow Rural District Guildford, Surrey.

150 High Park Road.

Household members:-

Charles Briant age 14 visitor
    Edward J Cook age 40 head
    Florence Cook age 12 daughter
    Mary Cook age 42 wife
    Edward C. Styles age 5 visitor
    Bertie Worsfold age 16 stepson
    Edward Worsfold age 12 stepson
    Ethel Worsfold age 11 stepdaughter
    George Worsfold age 19 stepson
    Lilian Worfold age 13 stepdaughter
    William W Worsfold age 18 stepson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default greetings

I think you could possibly be talking about my great grandfather on my mom's side. I found this site looking for information on what unit he was in. One of my moms cousins said something about having a picture of him in the war and a captured german submarine.

My grandmother was apparently adopted by him. Not sure if we are talking about the same man. But it is the same name. I am from Ontario.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Canada87 and welcome

The original poster, Irene has not visited the site since 2016. You may be able to contact her ( if she hasn't changed her e mail) by clicking on her name and selecting private message.

If you require any help in your research, please let us know

Thank you geneius for putting Canada87 in touch I will now replied to her. Irene

Dear Canada 87, Hi really hope this is the same man, firstly we may not be related. Edward Styles, is the son of my g grandmother brothers step daughter. I have his birth certificate (which of course is not in my file with all the other so will have to look in one or two boxes). His mother is Eve Jane Woods (Styles) born 1879 West Tarring Sussex. Her mother Sarah Woods married William Styles 1881 and after 1882 they lived in Surrey ending up in Merrow. Jane Eva Woods married Harry Wadey 1903 and William Styles signed as a witness. We would love to find out if he had any other family as he had down our g grandmother as next of Kin.
    Mary Styles married William Worsfold 1881, he died 1890 and she remarried Edward Crook 1899. I will get in touch with Marie a cousin who is also interested.

In the mean time I will look out his details for you. My email address is I Dredge at bt internet dot com, all lower case, remove spaces and add the at and dot signs. Should start idredge and end com. Look forward to hearing from you.