Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    valerie coleman

Default Sloan(e) Family from Ireland

Hi - i'm trying to find a Charles Sloan who was born in Ireland some time before 1800 (don't know the exact date but assume it's around the 1780/1790 mark). Apparently he came from Kilkeen?? in County Down. As far as I know there are three sons, Bernard born c1818, John born c1816 and Frances born c1820. I can't seem to find any online records for Ireland and he doesn't appear in LDS either. Does anyone know what my next option would be (apart from visiting the record office in Belfast).

Melissa Jones

Hi Valerie,

I think the Kilkeen you mention would most likely be Kilkeel - a small fishing town. Have you tried Griffith's Valuation for County Down? There are numerous Sloane's mentioned there (including a Charles, Bernard & John Sloane - amongst others - at Tullyframe). Tullyframe is in Kilkeel.

Also, do you know whether the Sloane's were Catholic or Protestant? From memory, civil registration began in the 1840s. As such, you might want to try local church records.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

valerie coleman

Question

Hi Melissa - sorry I did mean Kilkeel. I really don't know anything about Charles except what i've been told by other family members who are researching the same. The only thing I have is that he was called Charles - was born some time before 1800 (could be any time but I'm guessing round about 1780/1790). Don't know the name of his wife. All I've got to go in (and others in the family) are his name, his sons who are Bernard, John and Francis. Now I can't imagine an Irish family having only 3 sons in the early 1800s - there should be at least 6 or 9 of them! I don't know if they were catholic or protestant. I can only assume they were catholic. I assume that because my grandad Michael was protestant and the rest of the family were catholics. I've looked at Griffiths but really, those Charles and Bernards etc could be anyone. I really am well and truly stuck on this one!

Melissa Jones

Hi Valerie,

Hmm, interesting situation you have. Personally, I would centre around the fact that the Sloane's were from Kilkeel. I really think the next (other than going to the record office) step is to possibly get some Church records for the family (if they exist). Now, since you aren't sure of where exactly in Kilkeel they came from, that might be a bit difficult. It is possible that there may have been more children but had died young or something.

If it were me I would make an educated guess and have a look around the Tullyframe area. Generally families didn't move too far back then.

Melissa

valerie coleman

thanks Melissa

Inez Reed

Default Lowden and Sloane Families - Ireland to New Brunswick, Canada

I am seeking information on the origins of a James Sloan(e) Lowden who was born in Ireland around 1818 and immigrated to New Brunswick. He was a cabinet maker by trade and was said to have left or been born in Counties Down or Tyrone. His earliest appearance in New Brunswick Census of 1871, in St. Stephens.

The Lowden surname has proved to be elusive. It has been recorded as Loudon, Louden and Lowden. Any insight on the origins of Lowden and Sloan(e) families would be greatly appreciated.

Inez Reed

Inez Reed

Default James Sloan(e) Lowden - Spouse

Lest I forget, James Lowden or Louden married a Mary Curry. She was born in June of 1831 in New Brunswick and listed as of "Irish" descent. I descend through their son Henry. If anyone has a Louden or Lowden who strayed to the Maritime Provinces, from County Down or Tyrone, please drop me a note.

G-Judge

Question Sloan

lm seeking members of the SLOAN family for my wifes line her father was born 1893 at a place called warren point we believe his father was James sloan who married a Elizabeth STOOP .... my wife is a SLOAN born in west bromwich west midlands if any one can help please private message me thanks Regards Gary Judge

Answer

May be able to provide details of 3 Stoop baptisms in Warrenpoint if these are of any help. Not a common name in that area.
    William - 1870 Anne - 1875 Mary - 1877

Might be able to help with Sloan name also if more details provided.

Answer

Inez Reed

The only details I have for my Sloane ancestor, Jane Sloane Lowden (1777-1864) are found in an obituary that appeared in the New Brunswick Courier in April of 1864. This obituary states that she was the relict of James Lowden and that she was born in Antrim, Northern Ireland. The 1851 Census of St. James, Charlotte, New Brunswick lists Jane's date of immigration as 1830. Her sons included James (my ancestor) born in 1818; William T. born in 1821; and Mathew born in 1823. Her husband, James Lowden died before 1851. Any insight into her origins or her family in Northern Ireland prior to 1830 would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast