forshaw

Default Haigs of Dunse and surrounding area.

I am interested in John Haigs from Dunse and surrounding areas. I am uncertain whom John Haig b1715c married. He is buried in the family plot in Old Preston Graveyard. I think his wife could have been Alison Milllar. Their son John Haig b1857 Dunse married Agnas Hall b1756 Swinton and Simprin. Their son John Haig b1796 Dunse married Grace White b1812 Ayton. Their Son John Haig b1834 Duns married Margaret Turner b1833 Duns. Their son John Haig b1859 Dunse married Dorothy Bolton. I would love to hear from anyone connected to these families.

Quote Originally Posted by forshaw View Post
    I am interested in John Haigs from Dunse and surrounding areas. I am uncertain whom John Haig b1715c married. He is buried in the family plot in Old Preston Graveyard. I think his wife could have been Alison Milllar. Their son John Haig b1857 Dunse married Agnas Hall b1756 Swinton and Simprin. Their son John Haig b1796 Dunse married Grace White b1812 Ayton. Their Son John Haig b1834 Duns married Margaret Turner b1833 Duns. Their son John Haig b1859 Dunse married Dorothy Bolton. I would love to hear from anyone connected to these families.

I suspect that John jr ws born 1757?
    John snr almost certainly married, otherwise his son would have carried his mother's surname. I suspec that she's not on the MI because she died young. Have you sorted out the Haigs on the neighbouring stones out? A clump like that is almost certainly related.

Lesley

forshaw

Hi Lesley, Thanks for your advice and taking the trouble to answer. Since posting this original message, sometime ago now, I have managed to establish John Haig b1715c was indeed married to an Alison Millar. A friend found a sasine for me at the Edinburgh Archives, which not only mentions Alison as his wife but also their son John Haig jnr. It referred to the farm where I know from other records, their son resided. All tying in nicely. Having said that, I have still have no idea what happened to Alison after her husband's death. (I know from the sasine John died before Alison.) Maybe she remarried and therefore would have been named on an MI under her own surname and that of her new husband. As you rightly pointed out, I have also established relationships with the other graves that surrounded the one I have mentioned here. So for now, I am still stuck at an ugly brick wall.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by forshaw View Post
    Hi Lesley, Thanks for your advice and taking the trouble to answer. Since posting this original message, sometime ago now, I have managed to establish John Haig b1715c was indeed married to an Alison Millar. A friend found a sasine for me at the Edinburgh Archives, which not only mentions Alison as his wife but also their son John Haig jnr. It referred to the farm where I know from other records, their son resided. All tying in nicely. Having said that, I have still have no idea what happened to Alison after her husband's death. (I know from the sasine John died before Alison.) Maybe she remarried and therefore would have been named on an MI under her own surname and that of her new husband. As you rightly pointed out, I have also established relationships with the other graves that surrounded the one I have mentioned here. So for now, I am still stuck at an ugly brick wall.
    Pam
    Have you looked for testaments? The search and index is free on Scotlands People.
    Lesley

forshaw

Hi Lesley,
    Yes, I have already looked at wills and testaments for Haigs. I have found a couple of interest on SP index. One was written by John Haig and Alison Millar's Grandson (also a John Haig.) Wills can be very informative and cost just a few pounds to download an image of the original doc' from SP.
    Thanks,
    Pam