Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mary Young

Default Robert Harrington MANSON 1882-1941

Does anyone know parents and other history of ROBERT HARRINGTON MANSON of South Shields? (Parents may have been ROBERT ALEXANDER MANSON born Tongue, Sutherland; and JOHAN HENDRY from Latheron, Caithness.)
    Robert H. is listed on CWGC site
    Name: MANSON, ROBERT HARRINGTON, Initials: R H
    Nationality: United Kingdom, Rank: Cook
    Regiment/Service: Merchant Navy
    Unit Text: S.S. Empire Engineer (West Hartlepool)
    Date of Death: 02/02/1941
    Husband of Mary C. Manson, of South Shields, Co. Durham.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 40.
    Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
    Robert is not a member of my family, but part of wider research in Tongue Parish.
    Thanks,

TeresaE

I found this entry in 1891 but the parents are different from those which you mention.

13 Fawcett Street, Westoe, South Shields, Durham

Thomas W Manson Head 41 Ship's Steward b South Shields
    Elizabeth Manson Wife 37 b South Shields
    Thomas Manson son 15 Rivet Heater(Shipyard) b South Shields
    Jane E Manson dau 10 b South Shields
    Robert H Manson son 8 b South Shields
    Joseph H Manson son 4 b South Shields
    Edward Brown Boarder 24 Mariner(Seas) b Shoreditch London

RG12/4154 Folio 52, Page 32

Tricia

TeresaE

There are 2 Robert Manson's born the same year and in the same place. The one I found above appears on the 1901 census with his widowed mother and siblings but minus the 'H' in his name this time. He is a Shipyard labourer.

There is another Robert on the 1901 in South Shields as stepson to William Campbell and wife Johan. He is also a Shipyard labourer. This family (- minus William, of course) appear on the 1891 census where Johan is widowed but with same children as the 1901 entry.

I will wait to hear from you before I post any more details

Tricia

TeresaE

A couple of birth references to throw into the mix - you may have seen these

Robert Errington Manson 1882 Jul-Aug-Sep South Shields Durham, Tyne And Wear Vol 10a Page 781

Robert Herrington Manson 1874 Jan-Feb-Mar South Shields Durham, Tyne And Wear Vol 10a Page 801 -
    this one died in 1875 so I can't check 1881 for him

However I suspect he may be from this family which could prove the parents once and for all?

King Street South Shields

Elizabeth Manson Head 27 Married Wife of Seaman b South Shields
    Margaret Barton Sister 29 Widow b South Shields
    Thomas Manson son age 4 ....(?) b South Shields
    Jane Barton niece 3 b South Shields

RG11/5020 Folio 108 Page 2.

At least there is an Errington/Herrington/Harrington connection with this family

TeresaE
    Last edited by TeresaE; 11-10-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaE
    There are 2 Robert Manson's born the same year and in the same place. ... There is another Robert on the 1901 in South Shields as stepson to William Campbell and wife Johan. Tricia
    Dear Tricia
    My interest is in Robert Manson son of the widow, Johan Hendry Manson (later Mrs William Campbell). I hadn't realised there were two Robert Mansons born S.Shields in the same year! Thanks for clearing this up for me - I can rule out Robert H. Manson who died in WWI.
    Thanks, I already have the 1891 and 1901 census info. for Johan and her family.
    Grateful for your time and trouble.

TeresaE

You are very welcome.

Pleased you are sorted

TeresaE

virginia manson

Robert and Alexander Manson were twin sons of Robert Manson and Johan Hendry 1891 census 14 & 15 Westoe Street South Shields, 1901 census 2 Franklin Street South Shields. Alexander was a colliery labourer and Robert a shippy and labourer. They had four siblings and Johan married William Campbell after Robert died in 1889 in the fever hospital Hebburn S/S of typhoid and pneumonia

virginia manson

Default Robert Manson

Robert Manson who lived in South Shields was born in Sutherland c 1854, he married Johan Hendry born in Caithness 1852 in Edinburgh 1881. Johan left a child Diane for her parent to bring up. This child changed her name to Dolina Manson when she came to live with Robert and Johan in South Shields when they moved there. They had twins, Robert and Alexander, and four other siblings one of whom Johan McKay was sent to Dalcham Tongue to be brought up by relatives.
    Alexander was my husbands grandfather and he married Julia Bardwell in South Shields.
    They had Dolina who died aged 2, Samuel Alexander, and Jennie (the birth of whom I have been unable to trace.
    Virginia Manson SouthAustralia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My great great grandparents where manson so was my great nanna Deborah dennison was manson i have pictures etc if wish to see

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Kayleigh.
    It would probably be a good idea if you included more information about your grandparents so that they stand out from the crowd. When were they alive, that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast