Tony Walker

Thumbs up Newcastle City Lunatic Asylum

Has anybody got any idea how to find out how one of my relatives was admitted to the Newcastle city lunatic asylum (sometimes called Coxlodge) in the Castle Ward district of Newcastle.

Since he died there the death cert may answer a few questions, but I would really like to find out how and why he was there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Walker; 06-10-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Colin Moretti

Hello Tony

You can see what hospital records survive, and their location, in the Hospital Database here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...chdatabase.y=0 (I think I've the right hospital, if not try further searches there).

Patient records will be subject to a 100 year closure.

Colin

Tony Walker

Thumbs up

Colin,

Many, many thanks!

It led me straight to what I wanted. It's much appreciated - I couldn't see the wood for the trees!!!!

Regards

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Walker; 01-10-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Tony Walker

Thumbs up

Thanks Colin!

And thanks to the Tyne & Wear Archive Service. I now know everything - plus next time I travel north to do some record office research, I can visit and get the entire "medical" record!!

Now need to do something similar with his brother, who was in prison in newcastle but I can't find those records now!!!

Ho Hum!
    Last edited by Tony Walker; 06-10-2006 at 10:32 AM.

NJLois

Default My grandmother was there too.

My grandmother was also in that facility. One wonders how cavalierly it was decided that people needed to be interred in these facilities. I know eventually my grandmother suffered from encephalitis which would explain the need for institutionalizing. It's just very sad. She gave birth to my mother (out of wedlock) and returned home, but was institutionalized a few years later and during that time, conceived and gave birth to another child, my aunt. Somehow, they were reunited at a future date and were raised in St. Joseph's (a poor school I believe). I had to research all of this information, my mother never (ever) spoke of those days.